AD Site Links

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Site Links

Revising for a 70-294 exam and just have a really quick question regarding Windows Active Directory and Site Links.

Say I have two sites and two connections between these two sites. Say one connection is a Lease Line, and the other is a 56k modem. I set the cost of the Lease Line to 50, and the 56k line to 100.

My question is - how does AD actually know which line is which. How do you map the site links onto the actual connections. So when replication needs to happen how does AD know to use the Lease Line and not the modem line.

Not sure if I have explained that very well - or if I'm over thinking it.

Re: AD Site Links

OTTOMH, there is no actual link between site links and physical connections -- a link will use the first available network connection.
    If I get a chance I'll dig out the 294 books and check
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by thenoble06 View Post
      Revising for a 70-294 exam and just have a really quick question regarding Windows Active Directory and Site Links.

Say I have two sites and two connections between these two sites. Say one connection is a Lease Line, and the other is a 56k modem. I set the cost of the Lease Line to 50, and the 56k line to 100.

My question is - how does AD actually know which line is which. How do you map the site links onto the actual connections. So when replication needs to happen how does AD know to use the Lease Line and not the modem line.

Not sure if I have explained that very well - or if I'm over thinking it.

It doesn't and costs play no role with only 2 sites. Only when you have a mesh do costs come into to play.

Comment

You create the site link objects arbitrary. When more than one paths for replication are available, the KCC prefers the site link with the lower cost.
        I am not sure how relevant this is now but in win 2000, to determine the replication cost, you could use the formula:

Cost=1024/Available bandwidth (kb)
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X