Disable Active Directory change event notifications to other applications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Active Directory change event notifications to other applications

I was hoping that an expert could help me out onthis problem. You see i have an application that communicates with the Active directory through TCP/IP and any changes you make to the ACtive directory are reflected in that application now thats well and good.however whenever continuous changes takes place in the active directory about 3000 changes in an hour. this means that active directory sends 3000 user change notifications to my application thus making my application slow down greatly until the notifications are processed. Now is there any way by which we can slow down the notifications which the active directory sends when changes are made to it.ie any registry hacks ?? or atleast any way to filter and control the notifications that active dirctory sends out.. ??? is this even possible ??

Re: Disable Active Directory change event notifications to other applications

This may be something you want to discuss with the application vendor before trying anything else.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well the vendors say their program cant handle notifications of such continuous or high freqquencies infact they asked me to find a solution in active directory ... Any quick ideas would be appreciated

Comment

Any idea would be apprceicated...

Comment

Can you give us an idea of your environment? -- 3K AD changes per hour implies something VERY large
          What is the application?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sure.. Well the Application i am using resides on computer A and communicates with Active directory which resides on Computer B through TCP/IP. Now Computer B is not only connected to my computer but it is connected to Tons of other computers also via TCP/IP and those computers can also makechanges to the active directory. Therefore whenever they make a change to the active directory my application receives a notification and starts updating it self.(FYI Each contact has about 40 fields , so a change in any field,means a notification will be sent to my application.) furthermore even the process of replication in Active directory generates a notification.Nver the less the frequency of notifications is the same as i had mentioned earlier.. Any ideas would be appreciated..

Comment

So how many contacts are we talking about?
              Are these standard mail enabled contacts in AD or something else?
              How many DCs?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

there are about 22000 created users actually in an organizational group..

Comment

And you are seriously making 3000 changes per hour (20K+ per day) to this?
                  Can you clarify if this is users or contacts?

Is this a commercial application or something custom written for you?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

thanks for taking the time to post back anyways allow me to clarify .. there are a total of 22,000 "Users" in an organizational group in the active directory and each user has about 40 fields. Furthermore the frequency of changes is 3000 changes per hour . these changes include the replication changes of the active directory which it also generates..if there are any more details u require do let me know

Comment

Yes, for the third time, are these USERS or CONTACTS? You have mentioned both.
                      Is this the standard AD Schema or have you customised it?
                      How many of the changes are replications and how many are actual changes to data?
                      How is the application picking up the changes -- via event logs or some other way?
                      For the second time, is the app a commercial one or something custom written for you?
                      What OS are your domain controllers running and what is the functional level?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Thanks for ur patience these are confirm "Users".If i mentioned both then sorry abt that.
                        Anyways i am using the standard active directory Schema.
                        60% of the changes are replication.
                        The application is picking up changes through an API which Microsoft has released , in which u register with the active directory and whenever a change is made the active directory send the entire user object to ur app. its up to the app. to determine and find out the change.The app was custom written for us. It works well with iplanet however its not working well with Active directory. The computer that has active directory is running WindowsXP and other computers also run windows XP.

Comment

OK, so back to earlier advice. Get your app vendors to fix it.
                          They cannot blame it on AD if it was custom written for you.
                          Tell them to check the API documentation (which one is it, btw?) and handle the changes so replication ones get ignored.

What is iplanet and what has that got to do with anything?
                          Active Directory requires a server OS -- it will not work on XP (although XP machines can be members of an active directory domain). Find out which server OS it is.
                          I am still surprised at any AD environment where you are making 1200 changes to user properties per hour!
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

thanks for the advice I'll talk to the vendors. Furthermore you should also explore other directory servers instead of just sticking around with Microsoft.No offense off course since i noticed that u are Microsoft certified . Iplanet is also a directory servers and works on the basis of LDAP similar to that of Ms AD . The only reason i brought it up was for your information , so that you would know that the app was working well with other directory Directory servers.See u learned something new today by trying to help someone .. Have a nice day

do look at
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPlanet
                            before harshly questioning peoples intellect.

Comment

Actually it was not a criticism or questioning anyones intellect -- you mentioned it as "everything was alright with iplanet" and had not mentioned it before, so I asked.
                              Yes, I am fully aware there are other directory services, but I have quite enough work keeping up with Microsoft technologies and have better things to do than to google for every new term that is brought into the discussion.

Perhaps if you supply fuller information, you could get a better quality of help. Clearly my free time on a Saturday is not good enough for you
                              Last edited by Ossian; 19th June 2010, 13:38. Reason: smilie
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X