Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One domain or two (spanning a slow wan link)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One domain or two (spanning a slow wan link)

Current config is two domains(one 2000, one 2003) with trusts between them and connected by a Netgear VPN. Both are on cable modems that cap out at about 400kb up(welcome to BFE). The 35 users at Location B will be accessing remote desktop at Location A(ouch). Location A also has about 20 users sharing the same circuit for internet access.

Am I just asking for trouble if I consolidate these domains into one?

I am actually considering adding a second cable modem at each location to route the domain, and possibly some user traffic over, but this disaster that I inherited is already enough of a mess without bringing multihoning into the picture(unless they've really simplified it).

Re: One domain or two (spanning a slow wan link)

I think you might be OK consolidating the domains. Make sure you have a DC\GC on each side with Universal Group Membership caching enabled. You can adjust the replication topology in ADS&S if needed to account for the slow links. I'm assuming the RDP users will be accessing resources at the RDP site via the RDP session, which will have much less impact then trying to access the resources directly via the WAN link (files, email, etc).

Your idea to install a second connection at each site may be a good idea. One connection for AD and RDP and a second connection for internet browsing, etc.

Comment

Re: One domain or two (spanning a slow wan link)

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Your idea to install a second connection at each site may be a good idea. One connection for AD and RDP and a second connection for internet browsing, etc.
      It's definitely an option. The down speeds are plenty(4.5-6mb), but the up from the main office is going to be a bottleneck. I'd probably even have to split the RDP traffic up over the two circuits.

I've never looked into the idea of having dual "gateways" or at paths from Point A to Point B, but I may have to with this mess.

Comment

Working...
      X