Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• promote windows 2003 ADC as DC how?

Hello ,

i am using windows 2003 forest DC and also one ADC , now i want to become ADC as DC and Forest DC as ADC , how can i do this.

Thanks,
    Narasimharao

Re: promote windows 2003 ADC as DC how?

An Additional DC is the same as any other DC except for the FSMOs
    If you want to move them to the new DC, try: http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

You may also want to install DNS, DHCP and possibly even WINS on the ADC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

dear friends
      i had also come across the same scenario; the first thing i wanted to tell you, once you set up dc and adc; the same time make sure that dns is installed in adc and replicated the zones; when you come across the situation to promote adc to dc, it will trouble you if you had not dns installed in it; i had the same situation, i seized all the fsmo roles successfully to adc; but i had nslookup problems and i did not find any dns console in adc; when itry to configure ffd zone i was blocked with an error; this is from my experience; so please install dns when you setup adc and make sure that dns zones are replicated to adc.
      I also request; if i am passing a wrong information, please correct me.
      high regards
      raneesh cr
      Last edited by raneesh; 22nd June 2010, 15:55.

Comment

There is a very helpful EDIT button that allows you to make changes to an earlier post you have made.

Installing DNS was mentioned earlier, but it is not required unless you plan to decommission the original DC and there are no other DNS servers to take the load. It is, however, good practice to make most if not all DCs DNS servers and use Active Directory Integrated DNS.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.
          When i setup adc, its active directory integrated; still i was unable to locate dns console there in adc, i am still confused; in a situation where dc goes down, and i do not have dns installed in adc, what should i do? please
          high regards
          raneesh cr

Comment

Panic!
            Apply the 6P's and make sure you have at least 2 DNS servers just as you have 2 DCs !

Alternatively, install DNS on your second DC and hope it picks up the information from AD as it may be there (depending on DNS replication settings)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks for your reply
              what do you mean by apply 6P
              i am trying to gain information; am still learning; i am working around on a vmware lab; not online. Sorry if i have troubled your valuable time.
              Regards

Comment

The 6 P's

Dont worry - we enjoy (sometimes) answering questions and are happy to help. Everyone here was a newbie once
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

its ok sir
                  infact i thought you had used some technical quote which i was unable to follow
                  understood the need of 6Ps, i will always consider and remember the 6PS, before planning something

thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X