X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Site Links

Hi,

Quick question...i hope.

I have a domain setup running server 2003 with multiple DC's in different sites.

Site A, B, C, D

Site A has a WAN to each other sites, but all the other sites cannot communicate with each other.

So B, C, D dont have a link of any sort.

How do i setup replication to each of the other sites - do i need to create Bridge Site Links from site A to site B, C, D

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers

Re: Bridge Site Links

I have always found that AD replication is best left alone unless you have problems.
    The KCC will sort out links between sites and use the most efficient one it can find -- in you case via site A.

Test it is all OK by creating AD objects in each site (you will need to connect specifically to a DC in that site) and monitoring how long they take to replicate to all the others -- should be (IIRC) about 15 mins per replication cycle so up to 30 mins from e.g. B to D.

If it does work, dont add to your workload by messing with it!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Create three site links

A-B
      A-C
      A-D

Then disable Bridge all site links by unchecking the box under the properties of the Inter-Site Transports\IP folder.

This is not required and just an alternative to leaving things alone as Ossian said.

Comment

In general, I avoid letting KCC configuring things. I would go with the traditional hub and spoke design that was presented by Garen. But don't forget the link costs!

Comment

@RobM
          Out of curiosity, why?
          Have you found specific issues with using the KCC?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In general, in a fully routed network, I would let KCC do the job and also enable BASL. What would happen if the Hub A fails?
            The question is whether making it a fully routed network is a finacial decision or else.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi Thanks for the replies.

Ossian,

I am getting KCC and replication errors across all the servers, basically i have inherited the network and trying to sort out the problems.

Not having much joy...

Maybe you can help?

"The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from Server A to Server D for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name D.domain.local. FRS will keep retrying." Error 13508

Not being followed by 13509, but changes made to AD do replicate accross???

"The Knowledge Consistency Checker (KCC) was unable to form a complete spanning tree network topology. As a result, the following list of sites cannot be reached from the local site."

I dont know where to start, first thing i thought was the sites and services, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tommy.

Last edited by TommyT; 7th June 2010, 10:29.

Comment

Following on from site links.

I have amended the Sites to:

A - B
                A - C
                A - D

And removed:

B - C
                B - D
                C - D etc

But under the NTDS settings for the sites i have automatically generated objetcs. IE Site B has objects C , D even though i have amended the links.

Would it be best to remove these automatic objects.

Sorry if asking stupid questions, but it's starting to worry me now.

Thanks in advance

Tommy.
                Last edited by TommyT; 7th June 2010, 16:00.

Comment

I have removed the Automatically Generated NTDS Objects, but these keep coming back, any ideas why?

One thing i have noticed is that the dafaultsitelink has all the sites listed, so would it be best to remove all sites from this, is this whats recreating the automatic ones?

Also does it matter having site links like:

A - B or B - A

Thanks

Tommy.

Comment

Yes, if you're changing the topology you'll want to delete the DEFAULTSITELINK object.

Comment

Hi,

Can you please provide a network diagram for ur topology?
                      what is the os level, DFL, FFL, GC, DC, Single Site MultiSite, Firewall between the existing routes, AD spanning over the Firewall.

This will help better understand the env and help all of us to help u faster

Thank You
                      Navdeep
                      Thanks & Regards
                      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
                      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
                      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
                      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

This might sound a bit daft but if each other site cannot connect to other sites except A then you'll need to setup the replication to go via the main site anyway.

So in reality you would need the hub and spke design that Garen has designed for you.

At least that is my thoughts on it at this time of night lol.

Is there a reason why all your sites are not interconnected??

How are your sites connected to site A??

A possibilty is setting up some sort of routing so that the sites know to send traffic destined for any other site via site A.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X