multiple servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple servers

I am new to windows 2000 server and Active directory, I want to know the problems that may occur when adding an additional server to a existing 2k network? The network has an already established ADir. Does the server act as a backup, incase the main (domain controller) server fails? If I were to remove the new server, will that cause problems?

You can add a server in two modes:

as a member server, which holds no AD information and can be removed without problems.

as a domain controller, which is a peer to the main AD Domain Controller and holds all the information in case one fails. This can be removed by demoting it to a member server and then removing it from the network.

NB -- there are also "roles" e.g. Global Catalog server which are held by only one of the domain controllers but can be taken over by others in an emergency.

To add a second domain controller, install the server as usual, join it to the network and then run "DCPROMO" which will talk you through adding it.

Hope this helps
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful

Comment

Tom,

GC is not a FSMO. You can have more then one GC in a domain.

You can find a brief explanation on FSMOs here:
        http://ldap-project.berkeley.edu/cal...n/v05/fsmo.htm
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Yes -- you are right (and I knew more than one GC per domain)

I meant to say that the role is not automatically assigned to a DC but must be given / taken manually

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X