Design questions for multi site domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design questions for multi site domain

I need some advice from all the AD architects out there. I need some opinions on best practices for an environment. This is going to encompass multiple technologies so i didnt know what subject to post it in.

I have a main site with 2003 and an exchange server. I need to connect a handful of new sites (08 servers). However the bandwidth of these sites is pitiful and these countries dont have the infratructure to get faster connections.

The requirements are for each site to work as fast as if they were on a LAN. USers who use OWA complain about the connection being to slow and terminal server is also slow for them.

I was thinking of configuring a top level domain.com and each site being a sub domain of that site2.domain.local site3.domain.local etc... with domain trusts using p2p vpns between them. The VPNs seem stable just slow. But it should be enough to replicate minimal domain info.

The email problem is the one that has me guessing. Should i have each location have its own exchange server with its own email [email protected] [email protected]'? The issue I know im going to have is what if they wanted to all have the same corporate email? @domain.com and not these sub emails? I dont think i have the bandwidth needs to have all the exchange servers as part of a single domain.

Any thoughts on how you would configure it?

How do large companies handle their design? Like microsoft has offices everywhere but they have one email name @microsoft.com

Any general info or thoughts/gotchas/experiences etc... anyone can share would be very helpful.

Thanks all.

Re: Design questions for multi site domain

You should just put a Read Only Domain Controller in each site.

Make sure you have localised file servers, and ensure that cached mode is configured for outlook, if you choose not to have an exchange server at each site
    exchange could be configured using routing groups or routing connectors., although Cached mode for clients is the best option.. sure the initial bandwidth hit is high, but at least then they wouldn't use as much

does this help at all ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks, Ill look into Read Only domain controllers. I was planning on local files since they just dont have the speed to access things remotely.

I think a central email server is great for admin purposes. However I feel the user experience would not be the greatest. Wouldnt the user feel with outlook be very sluggish with a centralized exchange server?

I was even thinking of leaning with a hosted solution, such as paid gmail accounts. I could never have the bandwidth that google has at its disposal.

Thanks.

Comment

i remember an exchange calculator that figures out how much bandwidth a user would need, based on what option they use to connect, and hjow many emails they send/receive

how many users are you talkin about ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

about 100 remote users spread through the different sites.

Comment

what's the average speed of your sites ?

Comment

what's the average speed of your sites ?
              Well, if they're on planet Earth, roughly 1000 cos (latitude) mph
              The site link speed may be different

OnTopic:
              For 100 users across multiple sites, local Exchange servers would be uneconomic, also with the same email domain, all emails would be delivered to one location and then sent to the sites anyway.

IMHO, single AD domain, local DCs (RODCs if you want) and cached exchange using Outlook Anywhere
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

wow.. I was right in what I was suggesting.. nice to hear

Comment

Sorry, didnt read your first post properly -- yes, very right!

Another option for the OP would be hosted Exchange -- I believe MS are pushing that for smaller operations now
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hosted exchange would, probably, decrease overall traffic by 50%, dependent on network connection.

by this I mean: if i have two sites, each with a SHDSL connection at 4/4, with both uploads and downloads counted, if I wanted to download 10MB of mail at site 1, then my overall traffic use would actually be 20MB..

Comment

Working...
                    X