Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add thin clients to Active Directory

Hi!

I need to know how to add thin clients to Users and computers in Windows 2003 Server.

Cause i have three lab rooms with 90 thin clients and three different printers
    Therefore i'm trying to use a script that sets default printer from group membership.

But when i try to add "new computer" in Users And Computers and type in the name of the thin client, then AD don't regognize the thin client as the computer i've registered. Therefore the script don't work.

I can't believe Microsoft haven't though of this, cause it seems like a general thing for people to do..

How can it be that Microsoft with it's many many developers can't make an import for other devices than just regular computers??

Re: Add thin clients to Active Directory

> then AD don't regognize the thin client as the computer i've registered.

Sounds like these clients are not actually members of the domain then?

> How can it be that Microsoft with it's many many developers can't make an import for other devices than just regular computers??

Because that is the concept of the domain. You manage objects that are a member of it. If your client is no member, you cannot manage it.

Comment

Well, then how can i put them as members of the domain? There are no options for it when i create a new computer in "Users and Computers".
      Or is this something i have to do later on?

Edit: Remember that these are thinclients! When I'm logged on with them, I'm actually in the Windows 2003 Server and therefore cannot add the "computer" to the domain in the regular way by right-clicking My Computer and add it to the domain. It just doesn't work that way.

When I Type "ipconfig /all" in command, all info i'm getting is the info of the 2003 Server. Obviously.
      Last edited by raziel014; 5th September 2005, 11:41.

Comment

IF (big if) you can add them to the domain at all, it needs to be done from the thin client. Domain membership is basically a contract between the computer and the domain. It takes two to play. I would not be surprised if the client did not support it.

By the way, how will you determine from which client the user logged on? I'm not sure how you might do that, and it seems to me that you need that info in order to determine which room/printer to use.

Comment

So you're saying that i should try to log into the 2003 server with a thin client? Then i have to log in with administrator user and add a new computer. I'll sure try that.

What i'm planning is to register all thin clients in Active Directory. Create three groups, one for each room and then add the clients to the right group.

Then, i'll be using a script that checks if the name of the device the script is running on and check to see what group it belongs to. If it belongs to the first group, then it will set the correct default printer. IF it works that is.

But I'm not so sure anymore since it seems like it doesn't matter which thin client i log on to. Since the computer is always the 2003 Server anyway.

Do you know of another way to set the right default printer to the thin clients?
          Or perhaps map only one printer per thin client for the appropriate room?

Comment

Working...
          X