No announcement yet.

Need scaled down active directory setup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need scaled down active directory setup

First off I am my knowledge of AD is somewhat limited. Here is my predicament.

I need to develop an automated solution to update entries in our production Active Directory instance. The catch is we do not have a test instance.

The systems team insists we cannot install a second Active Directory instance because it will auto-generate activities that could impact our prodn Active Directory instance.

With that said, could someone suggest a creative approach I can take to install some sort of a test instance (very scaled down) that would allow for storing information in the same structure as our prodn instance but it doesn’t have all the extra bells and whistles. It just needs to be a dummy instance that stores in the same structure so I can develop against it and eventually point to prodn once tested

Can someone assist with how I could install something like this? A scaled down version of the active directory instance? I need a very lightweight test AD instance setup but one that can be installed on my desktop or a server on the same domain controller as our primary AD instance without affecting it whatsoever.

Re: Need scaled down active directory setup

Looks like you need ADAM to me, at least until you get it working and it's ready for production.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Need scaled down active directory setup

If it is just for testing purposes, set up a virtual server in a new domain
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **