Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Links - safe to delete?

Hi folks.

I have been trying to comb through the links to GPO's and just wanted to clarify that deleting a link is indeed safe. The scenario is a W2K3R2 TS was replaced by a W2K8R2 RDS server and I wanted to remove the old redirection policy link as there is a newer policy which we use when decommissioning the old servers.

I'd like to make sure we are only using what is necessary as this position is relatively new to me (3 weeks) and of course, documentation is quite sparse around here which is something I will need to build up.

Thanks.

--james

Re: GPO Links - safe to delete?

Ok, policy works like this:

You create a Group Policy Object, or GPO.
    This exists as an object, by itself, and doesn't do much.
    For it to do something, you must Link it, to an OU, or a domain etc.
    Only once the GPO is linked, (and active!) does it have any affect.

So it's perfectly safe to delete a link, provided that you know the underlying GPO is no longer required for that OU or Domain.
    Deleting a link will not delete the original policy object

Does this help ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel!

I couldn't remember exactly how it worked from the link. I had disabled it in the appropriate OU and so now I will delete it from there.

Thanks again.

--james

Comment

no probs buddy, glad I could help
        Best wishes for the documentation.. :_)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X