Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I migrate a computer that has been turned off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I migrate a computer that has been turned off.

Hi.

I'm currently in the process of moving our domain into another domain. This includes groups, users, computers, and group policies. These domains are both in the same forest. BTW, I'm using ADMT v3 on Windows Server 2003.

I've run into a bit of a snag when it comes to moving the computers. I can get the migration tool to work, but the issue when you are trying to move a computer that is not powered on.

The last dialog box of ADMT controls the agent functions which of course will on work when the computer is turned off, so it would a appear to me that you must have the computer on to migrate it.

This seems very awkward to me. I have over 100 computer to migrate and I know at least some of them will be off when I try to migrate them. Even if I were to ask people to leave their computers on (we generally disscourage that), I know there will be some that are off.

Is there something that I'm missing here? An option or setting that I need to select? Or is it simply you MUST have all the computers on?

Thanks in advance

Re: How can I migrate a computer that has been turned off.

you could use Wake On LAN to turn everything on.
    Alternately, your support floor walkers could walk around and make sure everything is turned on.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So that sounds like you MUST have the computers turned on. There is no other option.

If thats the case so be it, but it seems to take much of the usefullness out of the ADMT tool. I would expect to have roughly 75% or more of my machines off at the time, many of which are in different buildings and behind locked doors where I would have a difficult time getting a key. I'm sure there would also be some that would be actually hard to locate.

Our area is not super large by any means, so I don't know how large companies would handle such a migration with such limitations.

Comment

Wake On LAN - or WOL. check it out...

also - many large organisations (i'm thinking of one of my previous roles) have lots of computesr that are turned off at night - upwards of 2000. However, on Wednesday, it was still patch night, and they managed to power on all the computers and apply patches to all the workstations.

SMS might have been involved..

but Wake On LAN should be able to help.. sure, it'll still require visiting every workstation to preconfigure..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Rather depends on the client OS methinks. If I remember rightly from my last WSUS deployment there are ways in Vista and higher to use power management and force machines to turn on. Whether or not this is doable for anything other than WSUS I don't know, and if you have XP clients it won't work.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

There is a tool from SpecOps that allows you to do this. It integrates with Active Directory. You install it, then select the computers you wish to start, right-click and the context menu now includes such useful commands as Start Computer, Restart Computer, Shutdown etc. It works with XP and servers

The only thing you have to make sure of is that WOL is enabled on your PC's. This is usually done by enabling the option in the BIOS, so you will need to get to those machines that don't have it enabled and reboot them to enable WOL. However, it's a one time exercise so you will not need to repeat it.

The other thing - it's Free

http://www.specopssoft.com/web/specops-gpupdate.aspx

Probably one of the most useful remote admin tools I've found.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah I know WOL is an option, but problem is we have some older machines they don't have that feature so in general we haven't used it.

Seems like a awful lot of work which at that point I might as well just manually move them over.

So the general consensus is that the migration of computers must be done with the computers on and that people are using WOL to help ensure this. I thought there might have been something were you could have a policy so that the agent will run when someone logs into the computer.

Comment

Working...
              X