• Show
Clear All

• Question about Domain name and Domain migration

Hi all,

I have some question about Domain name and Domain migration

Current DC environment
    Single Forest Single Domain
    Forest and Domain Functional level is Windows Server 2003
    DC quantity = 40 (locate is Asia Main Branch and Branches)
    Users quantity = around 6000 unit
    PCs quantity = around 6000 unit

Background Story
    • Headquarter (HQ) in Europe
    • Asia Main Branch & Branches

HQ is planning to implement “Exchange Server” & “Office Communication Server” for ASIA Region.
    Servers which will locate in HQ.

HQ informs me that they need to have Forest Trust between Asia Region DC with HQ DC (Global AD).
    This Global AD will auto create Global Domain User Account which collection information from ABC.com Domain User Account.
    This will available Single Sign On feature even we are not same Domain Name.

Problem Facing
    My internal Domain Name “ABC.com” was register by unknown third party as External Domain Name (Public Domain).
    Current HQ DNS for ABC.com is pointing to internet; they do not want to change DNS setting to pointing ABC.com to internal.
    HQ informs me that now project is pending until I had solved this Domain Name issue…

Question
    • May I know what the best solution in order to solve the Domain Name issue?
    I had think of Promote a New Domain which had no conflict with Public Domain Name, then perform Domain Migration.
    However Domain Migration involves lots of man power on user profile migration and implementation cost.
    I do hope that there has alternative solution besides Domain Migration.
    • If there have no other solution and force to proceed on Domain Migration, what things should I consider and concern?

Re: Question about Domain name and Domain migration

so another company (say, me for example) has registered your abc.com domain name in the public internet?

Well - if you can show you have a clear business tie to it, it's a trademark, you may be able to snaffle it back....
    otherwise - approach the person who owns the abc.com domain and ask oif they miht consider transferring it to you,....

however - to go back to your story.. you state you havbe a single forest, single domain.
    then that your managers want a forest trust.. ? Are you talking about creating a new domain for communicator and exchange ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Techcamel,

1st, thanks for your reply.

so another company (say, me for example) has registered your abc.com domain name in the public internet?
      1. Yes, there have another company register ABC.com domain name in public internet.

Well - if you can show you have a clear business tie to it, it's a trademark, you may be able to snaffle it back....
      otherwise - approach the person who owns the abc.com domain and ask oif they miht consider transferring it to you,....
      2. How to snaffle it back? the Domain is not use my company name.
      My IT manager is not allow and agree to approach person who owns ABC.com. Company is reluctance to pay $$$

however - to go back to your story.. you state you havbe a single forest, single domain.
      then that your managers want a forest trust.. ? Are you talking about creating a new domain for communicator and exchange ?
      3. In ASIA Region is Single Forest Single Domain, HQ - Europe (also Single Forest Single Domain) need to have forest trust. Now Europe and Asia cannot have forest trust because of ABC.com domain name.

4. the new domain will not for communicator and exchange, it will just for pure AD purpose. There will be additional Exchange and Communicator Server in Europe
      Last edited by kynixtanls; 26th April 2010, 11:36.

Comment

aahh. now i'm sort of understanding.

def.com is a single-domain forest in asia, and abc.com is a single-domain forest in Europe.
        You want to create a forest trust between the two forests, however the abc.com domain is actually owned in the public domain by someone else.

so you need to change the domain name of abc.com on your internal network (to zxy.com for instance) but you're worried this will require a whole-scale migration?

If i'm understanding the issue correctly,
        you may be able to just "rename" the abc.com forest
        http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

does this help you at all ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi tehcamel,
          Thanks for your information.
          I may need tme to read detail and further study on your propose link.

Just simple read the web page, it state "you can rename domains without affecting the structure. For example, if you rename a root domain, the names of all child domains below it are also changed, but you have not created a different domain-tree structure."

this mean that I change my "abc.com" domain name to "zxy.com" on server.
          All the PCs and members join to "abc.com" will auto change domain to "zyx.com"?

There no need to any configuration in PCs and member server?

Comment

Working...
          X