• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Trusts and Domain / Forest Functional Level

I have 2 domains - in 2 forests:

win2k3.mycompany.com
    nt4.mycompany.com

These 2 forests / domains have trusts set up.

Currently - my win2k3 domain is at Windows 2000 mixed mode and my forest is at Windows 2000 mode

My question is - can I raise my domain functional level to Windows 2003 and maintain the trust relationship between the domains / forests?

I know that within a forest - I cannot promote my domains to a windows 2003 functional level if I have a 2000 or NT4 DC - but in this case - the NT DC is in a different forest.

Thanks in advance
    sb

Re: AD Trusts and Domain / Forest Functional Level

If it is a different forest, you can do whatever you like
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So even if my win2k3 domain and forest are raised to Windows 2003 functional level, I can still have trusts to the NT4 domain / forest and my users will be able to access resources in the NT domain?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmbell View Post
        So even if my win2k3 domain and forest are raised to Windows 2003 functional level, I can still have trusts to the NT4 domain / forest and my users will be able to access resources in the NT domain?
        That is correct. After raising both functional levels the existing External trust to you NT 4 domain will remain in tact.

-Jason
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Working...
        X