No announcement yet.

Migration of windows 2000 DC to Windows 2008 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration of windows 2000 DC to Windows 2008 R2

My client is having Windows 2000 domain which is containing 1Windows 2000 DC & 2 Windows 2000 ADC he wants to migrate it to Windows 2008 R2 he start the up gradation but mistakenly he installed windows 2008 Ent. With SP1 & done the schema upgrade (by Forestprep & Domainprep) & he moves the PDC Emulator & Domain Naming master roles to Windows 2008 Ent. Server & also made it to GC. now in that Domain there is one Windows 2008 Ent. server & three Windows 2000 server (on windows 2000 server still having Schema master, Infrastructure Master & RID master roles.)
    Now clients want to install Windows 2008 R2 server in the domain & remove the windows 2000 & windows 2008 Ent. From the domain so please tell me how to go for this.
    Do I need to run forestprep & domainprep again?

Re: Migration of windows 2000 DC to Windows 2008 R2

ADPrep is a once off so no need to run it again
    IMHO the best thing is to install the new servers, DCPromo and then transfer the remaining FSMOs
    Note MS now recommend all DCs are GCs unless it is a multidomain environment when the infrastructure master should not be (need to double check that it IS the infrastructure role)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **