Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server failover on active directory by changing server name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server failover on active directory by changing server name?

Hi, I'm posed a question in my study course for Active Directory and hope someone can help me.

Assuming the following:

SMTP Mail Server A
    Name: mailserver1.domain.com
    IP Address: 192.168.0.10

SMTP Mail Server B
    Name: mailserver2.domain.com
    IP Address: 192.168.0.11

Mail Server A is the primary server, while Mail Server B is the secondary mail server. My users will send emails that find their way to SMTP Mail Server A by using the recipient format: [email protected].

In the event that SMTP Mail Server A goes down, I want SMTP Mail Server B to replace SMTP Mail Server A. This should be done by a VB or C++ program (written by me) that runs on SMTP Mail Server B.

I figure that I can do this by just changing the computer name on Mail Server B from mailserver2.domain.com to mailserver1.domain.com, or should I change IP address instead? Will this pose a problem to AD authentication? What happens if Mail Server A recovers?

Will appreciate any pointers.

Re: Server failover on active directory by changing server name?

This does not sound like part of any official AD course I have ever taken or taught!

The email format also looks wrong -- it should be [email protected] -- if so, multiple MX records will take care of server failover
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Server failover on active directory by changing server name?

what ossian said.

basically, you want [email protected] (or maybe [email protected] if you needed to)

in DNS, you create two MX records, for instance:

137.1.2.3 A mail1.domain.com.
      137.1.4.2 A mail2.domain.com

domain.com MX mail1.domain.com 10
      domain.com MX mail2.domain.com 30

THose two numbers at the end there refer to costs, or preferences. basically it'll try to connect to MX10 first, and if that fails, it'll send mail to MX30. If that fails, you'll get a temporary NDR.

check daniel's article:
      http://www.petri.com/configure_mx_re...il_traffic.htm for some more assistance.. it'll probably clear it up more than my babbling
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X