No announcement yet.

Restore Active Directory database problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Active Directory database problem

Hello everyone
    I've a problem with restore my Active Directory database. I've two DC's based on Windows 2003R2 Ent En.
    I've created a vbs script that import some data to Active Directory database. I've Container that name is CN=Data in domain DC=test,DC=local.
    That script inserting data to container CN=Data1, CN=Data2 etc. in CN=Data.
    example: CN=Data1,CN=Data,DC=test,DC=local.
    I've backed up my Active Directory before I insert data. (system state).
    After I inserted data, that data was replicated to second Domain Controller. OK !!
    But now I want to restore my active directory database to the time before I inserted my data from script.
    * I have done non-authoritative restore from backup
    * Then I have done authoritative restore by ntdsutil
    ones by recreate subtree CN=Data,DC=test,DC=local
    otherwise by recreate object CN=Data,DC=test,DC=local.
    After restart my first DC, the data from second DC replicated to my DC with data that I inserted I want to have my data that I had before inserting.
    What I'm doing wrong ??
    Please help me.

Thank you for yours proposal

Seal _Bart

Re: Restore Active Directory database problem

There is no need to do a non-authoritative restore, you just needed to do an authoritative restore and use ntdsutil to state which part of the domain you need restoring, then that bit of the tree is 'authoritative' and should NOT be overwritten.

Yes, should but another DC overwrite data on first DC.
      I marked by authoritative restore container CN=Data,DC=test,DC=local, but still doesn't work. DC2 insert data to this container. I want that data from backup, which I restored on DC1 will be replicated to the second DC.

I presume you booted your DC1 into DS Restore Mode before doing the authoritative restore?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Yes, of course.