Question on active directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on active directory

I am very much clueless about active directory.

Our IT department recently set up active directory in my unit. Previously, I have administrative rights on my computer since I somewhat function as a database administrator/programmer in the department where I belong. I manage this database because of the confidentiality nature of my work. With AD set up in my machine, I now only have restricted user rights on my machine, along with a few computers in my mini-network. The IT person said that I still have administrative rights on my machine with AD setup on it, but this is not the case.

In this regard, may I ask what are the implications of setting up AD on my unit to my function as an independent programmer/database administrator in the company?

I really appreciate anyone who can help me on this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Question on active directory

do you mean you access the AD from your local computer through administrative tool ?
    samer Sulaiman

Comment

i mean, i am one of the end users in the network, but I have administrative rights on my unit before because of the nature of my job.

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Is the database you administer hosted on your machine? If not, speak to your IT admin about it. If it is and you are administrator on that machine, then whether the security boundary is a domain or a workgroup should not matter.
          If it is an issue you'll need to bring this up with your IT admin guy. Usually you should have the rights and priviledges to enable you to carry your job and if you are unable to do so then report it as an issue.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

yes, the database i am managing right now is hosted in the machine. previously, i have admin rights on the machine. but with the implementation of the AD, i now have user access rights. the IT dept said that AD is a company-wide project implementation. Now, my worry is how will i be able to justify to the IT that i need local admin rights to my machine. I am also tasked to develop and maintain our own program in our dept, given the confidentiality nature of the data.

Comment

Why do you need admin rights?

Security permissions can be so granular now it's very rare an end user needs full admin rights.

Now you're not a local admin on your box what functions can you not perform that you could previously?

Comment

It sounds to me your PC was a member of a workgroup and you logged on with a local account which had admin rights. Now your PC has been added to a domain and you have been given a domain account to log on with and that account is not a member of the local administrators group.

So are you able to log onto your PC with the local account that you had previously?

Comment

Originally posted by jhannivy View Post
                  yes, the database i am managing right now is hosted in the machine. previously, i have admin rights on the machine. but with the implementation of the AD, i now have user access rights. the IT dept said that AD is a company-wide project implementation. Now, my worry is how will i be able to justify to the IT that i need local admin rights to my machine. I am also tasked to develop and maintain our own program in our dept, given the confidentiality nature of the data.
                  This is not much to do with AD but more with the argument whether you should have local admin rights or not.
                  Your side of the argument is that you can not do your job without those rights. Let the IT admin show you otherwise.
                  More on that debate: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blog...or-rights.aspx
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X