Merging 2 Forests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging 2 Forests

Hello everyone. I have a potentially daunting task ahead of me and would like to get some input from some of you more experienced individuals.

I have been tasked with merging 2 companies into 1 and each of these companies has its own Forest, Domain and Mail Server.

Company1: Server 2003, Exchange 2007

I want to merge company 1 into company 2

Company2: Server 2008, Exchange 2007

I then want to finally upgrade to 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010.

How is it that I can accomplish this in the best way possible? I will most likely have to do this in parts if at all possible, as the company is international and there are employees online 24/7 due to the numerous time zone differences. If it is not possible to do this in chunks, then obviously the path of least downtime is best.

I must admit that I have never merged domains before and therefore I will be going into this not knowing what to expect, and at this early point in the project, even what to do. I would appreciate any advice and tips, especially about things to look out for, the gotchas. Thank you immensely for your time and assistance.

Re: Merging 2 Forests

You'll have to do a proper detailed planning and testing but you could start with Forest trusts and use ADMT for the migration.
    Are you keeping the name of one of the companies during the merger or are you creating a new one? Also identify other application that may be affected by the merger/migration.
    Best way IMO is to create the new domain from scratch and then migrate from the other existing two.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Merging 2 Forests

I didn't consider that option, to make a new forest and merge the other 2 to a new one, I will have to think about that one.

We do intend to keep the domain name for company2 as well as both exchange mail domains (external).

Thank you for the link, I will read into it.
      Any other opinion/advice from anyone is very welcomed.
      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X