Workstation cannot install software after joining domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation cannot install software after joining domain

I made a workstation Windows XP join the active directory domain in my network. I created an administrator account called james on both domain controller and local workstation.
    After I logon with james user account, I cannot install any software. However, I can run as some other administrator in that local computr to install the software.
    What do I have to do here to make james account be able to install software on this workstation?
    Please help. Thank you very much.

Re: Workstation cannot install software after joining domain

Hi cooperchien,

Base on information provided, I would guess the account james is just a normal domain user. Please check the jame's group membership by "net user james".

Regards,
    Teamwork

Comment

Originally posted by azmantek
      Hi cooperchien,

Base on information provided, I would guess the account james is just a normal domain user. Please check the jame's group membership by "net user james".

Regards,

This is more than likely the problem. When you create a user on a domain it is automatically put into the users group only. After that you then start adding the user to groups.

Comment

What confuses me more is the following:
        Originally posted by cooperchien
        I created an administrator account called james on both domain controller and local workstation.
        Why the duplicate accounts ?
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Putting the user account in the domain admin group can solve the installation issue. The server took a while to update the changes.
          However, is there a way that I can let user install the software without put him in the domain admin group? He is the local computer's adminstrator now but when he logs onto the domain, he still cannot install software.
          I checked the group policy but could not find any policy about installation rights.
          Do any of you know what I can do here?
          Thank you very much for your help. I am new to Active Directory.
          Last edited by cooperchien; 24th August 2005, 02:48.

Comment

Hi cooperchien,

I created an administrator account called james on both domain controller and local workstation.
            James on DC and James on workstation are two different ones. Pay attention to the "Log on to" when you log on. If it's domain name then that's the James on DC. If it's workstation name then it's "local" James . Same name but two different identities. Hope this make it clear for you.

However, is there a way that I can let user install the software without put him in the domain admin group?
            The answer is yes: Restricted Group. Please read here

Regards,
            Teamwork

Comment

Working...
            X