AD Restore Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Restore Question

Windows 2003 Server running Active Directory with mirrored drives. System gets to the Windows 2003 Server splash screen and then reboots. Not able to access with Safe Mode and Last Known Good didn't work. Booting off the 2003 Server CD and trying a Repair Install also didn't work. It still gets to the Splash Screen and then reboots.

I will remove the Secondary Master then reinstall 2003 Server clean on the Primary Master and install Active Directory. Once AD is up and running, am I then able to restore the old AD database from the Secondary Master? Will this restore AD with the setup prior to the failure?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: AD Restore Question

How many DCs are there ?
    Who holds the FSMOs ?
    Is DNS hosted only on the DC that failed ?
    Are there any other services hosted on the DC that failed that need to be transferred ?

In general, if you have other DCs with DNS up and running, your steps would be:

1) seize the FSMO roles the failed DC was holding
    2) perform metadata cleanup
    3) Cleanup DNS references of the old DC (if anything is left)
    4) Rebuild the failed box (better of with a new name)
    5) DCPROMO the new server

Also note, that in AD world there is no such notion as "Primary/Secondary Master". DCs are soldiers, and if you have more than one in a given domain, you can sacrifice some of them without loosing any data (as it is replicated to other DCs).
    The FSMO roles should not be neglected when dealing with things like that, but this does not mean that they are show-stoppers. You can transfer/seize the roles to other DCs and move on (as long as you are not introducing duplicate FSMO holders or any other ambiguousness)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Damn, I thought I posted enough info. Sorry! (Never post when stressed or tired or both. )

This is a single 2003 DC. No other DCs on the network. There is however a 2003 Member server running Exchange 2003. The Primary Master and Secondary Master refered to the mirrored HDDs of the failed system. My apologies for not clarifying that.

What I wanted to know was if it was possible to do a clean 2003 server install and restore the AD database from the Secondary Master HDD of the failed system. I disconnected the Secondary Master HDD from the system after it went pear shaped hoping to save the AD database and restore it to the clean installation.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

> What I wanted to know was if it was possible to do a clean 2003 server install and restore the AD database from the Secondary Master HDD of the failed system

No way. The only way to restore AD is from a proper backup. Reason being, the database and logs of a crashed systed are not in a properly defined state.

> DCs are soldiers,

Good one! I guess that makes the sysadmin a general

Comment

Thanks.

Turned out it was a HDD failure/failing so it was all pretty stuffed. Managed to rebuild a lot of AD from a previous backup but lost all the additions I was working on at the time of the crime. Looks like an additional DC is required.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X