Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD DS and CALs

Hello,

We'd like to setup 2 W2k8 servers just as Domain Controllers. They're not going to give any more services to the net. Do we need 2 CALs for every user (one CAL for each server/user) ? For example, if there are 50 users that are going to register in AD DS, do we need 50 User CALs in server1 and 50 User CALs in server2 ? Thanks a lot.

Re: AD DS and CALs

Yes unfortunately. You can make a decision whether you are going to go for Windows User CALs or Device CALs depending on what saves you more money. Additionaly you'll need to consider additional CALS for other roles (TS, RMS..)
    For more info: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Surely both user and device CALs are domain (if not forest) wide
      Its only server CALS which are tied to a particular server
      (unless MS have changed it all again?)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Surely both user and device CALs are domain (if not forest) wide
        Its only server CALS which are tied to a particular server
        (unless MS have changed it all again?)
        You are correct actually, If the licensing mode is Per User or Per device then you'd only need one set of CALs. If it is set Per server however you'd need CALs for each server.

The Licensing Mode was the one that throughs me of the track. MS loves to make it confusingly profitable don't thy?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks a lot to everybody. Forgive my ignorance but if I only buy one set of licenses (I have per user o per device mode) and I have 2 DCs, if I install all the licenses in ServerA (for instance) and it crashes will the users validate to Server B without any problems ? Will the replication process replicate also the licenses ? I'm really sorry for these so basic questions but Microsoft licensing is a little 'nightmare'.

Thanks a lot,

Nyitus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyitus View Post
            Thanks a lot to everybody. Forgive my ignorance but if I only buy one set of licenses (I have per user o per device mode) and I have 2 DCs, if I install all the licenses in ServerA (for instance) and it crashes will the users validate to Server B without any problems ? Will the replication process replicate also the licenses ? I'm really sorry for these so basic questions but Microsoft licensing is a little 'nightmare'.

Thanks a lot,

Nyitus.
            Hi Nyitus,

If you go for perdevice then it's just single server as the name says per device. So if the server crashes then you need to revoke license (i assume but not sure) and re assign to the other server.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

A lot of MS licensing is on an "honour" basis where there are no physical checks that you are compliant, but if they catch you out you will be in trouble. The main exception is terminal server where a valid licensing server is needed.

In the scenario above, I do not think the crashed licensing server will cause any problems
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X