Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Upgrade 2000->2008->2008R2

Hello,
    I have my windows 2000 ADS with 5 DC's, all are setup on old hardware which is reaching EOL. I need to upgrade this domain to Windows 2008 on new hardware which I will be getting soon. My query is that whether I should go for 2008 or 2008R2? My new server will definitely support 64bit processing, so what are the other parameters I need to look into?

Thanks

Re: Domain Upgrade 2000->2008->2008R2

Originally posted by avilt
    what are the other parameters I need to look into?
    Will all your software run on a 64bit Server platform?
    Will any attached hardware have drivers for the 64bit version?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You also need to upgrade one DC from 2000 to 2003 first. You cannot upgrade from 2000 to 2008 in one step.

bio..

Comment

I am planning to discard the existing 2000 DC hardware. So I will not upgrade to Win-2003, instead will run a adprep on the existing 2000 server and join a 2008 DC on a new hardware. Then after transferring FSMO roles to 2008 server I will discard 2000 DC's. I can dedicate one server exculsively as a DC without any applications except antivirus software. Is it wise to go ahead with 2008 R2 edition? What's the real benefit I am going to get apart from performance and new recycle bin feature? Appreciate your insights.

Comment

Originally posted by avilt View Post
          I am planning to discard the existing 2000 DC hardware. So I will not upgrade to Win-2003, instead will run a adprep on the existing 2000 server and join a 2008 DC on a new hardware.
          To my knowledge this will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by bio View Post
            To my knowledge this will not work.
            What will not work?

Comment

joining an 2008 DC to a 2000 domain

bio..

Comment

Originally posted by bio View Post
                joining an 2008 DC to a 2000 domain

bio..
                I have already done this in lab.

Comment

Hi,

Please find this

To upgrade Windows 2000 Active Directory domains to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains, you must perform an in-place upgrade of all existing domain controllers running Windows 2000 in the forest to domain controllers running Windows Server 2003. Then, perform an in-place upgrade of those domain controllers to Windows Server 2008. A direct in-place upgrade of a Windows 2000 edition to a Windows Server 2008 edition is not supported.

more information can be found here.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-3db46b2877a2
                  Thanks & Regards
                  v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
                  Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
                  Independent IT Consultant and Architect
                  Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
                    Hi,

Please find this

To upgrade Windows 2000 Active Directory domains to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains, you must perform an in-place upgrade of all existing domain controllers running Windows 2000 in the forest to domain controllers running Windows Server 2003. Then, perform an in-place upgrade of those domain controllers to Windows Server 2008. A direct in-place upgrade of a Windows 2000 edition to a Windows Server 2008 edition is not supported.

more information can be found here.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-3db46b2877a2
                    Well, I do understand that I can not upgrade the Windows 2000 DC to 2008 directly. But my objective is to discard all the existing windows 2000 domain controllers and at the same time upgrade the domain to Windows 20008. So what I have done in the lab envoronment is perfectly working fine.
                    I just run forestprep and domainprep on Windows 2000 DC's, introduce a 2008 DC by running dcpromo, join it to existing 2000 domain, transfer FSMO roles and then discard the old 2000 DC's.

Comment

Hi ,

That's good that it worked for you in the test env. The reason you shouldn't do it in production env for one simple reason. "It's Not Supported"

Why i am stressing it because if things go wrong in production env then management will screw our happiness they won't listen that it worked in production. They will come up and say that Microsoft has mentioned it's not supported then why did you do it.

you getting my point friend.... what i want to say..
                      just be on safer side. Gud Luck
                      Thanks & Regards
                      v-2nas

Comment

Just to clarify one thing, In-place upgrade is not supported, however the Transitioning method you are using should be good. Especially if it has worked for you in a test env. Have a look at this for things to avoid (It should also apply to 2008 ): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555040 and this:http://www.commodore.ca/windows/serv...08_upgrade.htm
                        Last edited by L4ndy; 9th February 2010, 11:37.
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                          Just to clarify one thing, In-place upgrade is not supported, however the Transitioning method you are using should be good. Especially if it has worked for you in a test env. Have a look at this for things to avoid (It should also apply to 2008 ): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555040 and this:http://www.commodore.ca/windows/serv...08_upgrade.htm
                          /

why we need to change all DC's to GC's ?
                          Thanks & Regards
                          v-2nas

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
                            /

why we need to change all DC's to GC's ?
                            There could be a reason that's mentioned in there. One I can think of is to avoid any possible issues during the migration process when placing the FSMO roles and GC.
                            It is always safe whether on a single or multidomain env to have all the DC as GC. Otherwise in a multidomain structure the Infrastructure Master should not be placed on a GC.
                            That can be reviewed later on after the migration is completed.
                            Last edited by L4ndy; 10th February 2010, 15:46.
                            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thx for clearing up
                              Thanks & Regards
                              v-2nas

Comment

Working...
                              X