Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Problem on New DC

Hi Everyone,

We are having problem with time on our new DC and end-user clients. This problem occurs whenever we put up new DC for our existing domain.

The exact error is " The system can not log you on due to the following error: There is a time difference between the client and the server. Please try again or consult your system administrator"

Even the new DC (SVR02) cannot logon the the domain and displays this same error. The only way the new DC to logon is to reboot, but after a few hour the error occurs again.

Same with behavior on our client pc's.

Time Zone are the same on all servers and workstations.

Our AD domain setup is 1 forest, 1 domain.

please help.

thanks,

Jojo

Re: Time Problem on New DC

Please check that the "Time Zone" settings are corrent (Check it with TZEDIT) and Windows Time service is up on the server.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

This looks like the the DC is configured with a time server that is not working. This may happen if you configured a time server manually, which is something you should only do on the PDCe. Alternatively, like Yuval says, the time service may be stopped. Yet another idea: if you have a firewall that blocks 123 tcp/udp you'd have the same effect.

Note that the time sync process is not sensitive to time zone. We would be in a nice mess if it were

Comment

you can use the net time command, /set and synchronize time on all machines. I think kerberos requires all time be within 5 minutes for a ticket to be valid.

Comment

Some time ago I started a writeup on time synchronization in AD environment, but never had the time to finish it.
          In any case, you might find the following useful:
          http://guy.netguru.co.il/uploads/w32tm.html
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks to all who gave their inputs, unfortunately upon doing so the problem still occurs.

I'am attaching the exact error message we encounter on the newly promoted DC. (this error appears after the restart is initiated at the end of the DCPROMO process)
            Attached Files

Comment

Are both servers in the correct time zones??

Are both servers set to the same time??

Are both servers on the same site??

Comment

Are both servers in the correct time zones?? YES

Are both servers set to the same time?? YES

Are both servers on the same site?? YES

Comment

Are the BIOS clocks at the same time??

Comment

Ok well the problem I think lies within kerberos not being able to authenticate, I have seen this problem before even with the time exactly the same try this for me:

log on locally to both machines, client/server with admin privlidges.

go start>run> type: NET TIME /DOMAIN:name /SET
                    (where name is put in the domain being used)

after this reboot machines and try to logon again. If this still doesnt work, let me know I have another idea.

Comment

also if you can to isolate the problem, change the server and just 1 client to a different subnet to troubleshoot.

Comment

Working...
                      X