Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple domain controllers on same network, are the all the same?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple domain controllers on same network, are the all the same?

If you have multiple domain controllers with server 2003 on the same network.
    How would one be be different from the other and what can I do to change it?

Re: Multiple domain controllers on same network, are the all the same?

What is different???

Comment

That was my question.

If you have numerous DC's on the same domain, are they all the same, or is one special/different?

Thanks

Comment

No they should be all the same if they are in the same domain structure.

I.E if they are all DC's in the same domain they will hold the same information.

They can however have different applications on them that will make them different.

i.e some might have IIS and some may have Apache. Both servers do the same thing in a different way because of the application.

Hope that helps.

Comment

All domain controllers are equal but some are more equal than others
          There are 5 FSMO roles, normally held by the first DC in the forest / domain, but can be transferred to other DCs (see the main site or for FSMO)
          A DC can be a global catalog server -- important in a multi-domain environment

In terms of basic AD information, though, all the DCs in a domain will hold the same data -- if you have multiple sites the information will not be synchronised immediately
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X