Remove 3 Domain Controllers and make them independent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove 3 Domain Controllers and make them independent

We have a WAN that consist of 4 servers. The main server is a Windows 2000 server that holds all the FSMO roles and is the only GC. The other three are Windows 2003. All have AD and are replicating. Our goal is to remove all servers and make them independent. Can I transfer the FSMO roles to all 3 Windows 2003 servers? Also, one of the servers had communication problems and was offline for a long time, but is now back online but having issues.

How should I approach this. I don't want to create a new domain at each location and redo all the workstations.

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Remove 3 Domain Controllers and make them independent

Hi TKC,

what do u mean by this

Our goal is to remove all servers and make them independent

please explain a bit so that I can suggest you something benefical.

Thank you
    v-2nas
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Basically we are getting rid of the WAN. Each location will be its own network because they no longer have the need to share files or resources.

Comment

If your being serious then i would just remove the machines from the WAN then seize the roles on the server when sited in situ.

Please note though that you will not be able to connect these servers back together on the same network.

Are the sites going to be connected via VPN or will they be totally seperate netwroks away from each other??

Comment

They are currently connected via VPN, but will be totally seperate.

Comment

Will the VPN's be disconnected???

If not then i would recommend setting up a domain for each site rather than just removing the servers from the sites.

Actually i'd probably just go with the creating new domains for each site then if need be they can be setup to trust each other in the future.

Comment

The VPN will probably be taken down. The only reason we might have it up is to securely manage the servers remotely.

Comment

Although more work, you will probably be best to create 2 new domains (and keep the existing one at one site)
                This will allow you to create trusts later if you need to, and will allow you to keep the VPNs
                If you have 3 copies of the current domain, they MUST be kept separate in the future so the VPNs will have to go
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X