Active Directory on Windows Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory on Windows Vista

Can Active Directory be installed on a single Windows Vista machine that has no network connections?

I need to install a Java-based application that requires an LDAP v3 service available; the original developers have it working with Active Directory at their site. We need to put their application on a Windows Vista box that has no network (including internet) connections. I was going to put Active Directory on there as well; I am not a Windows admin and have never done this before.

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Active Directory on Windows Vista

AD is a database but it comes with server OS's. I am pretty sure there isnt a seperate installer just for AD. You would need to install a server OS than make it a domain controller which will install the AD part.

Comment

Hello Bill,
      You can install Active Directory only on the server Grade OS, like, Windows Server 2000, 2K3, or 2K8, or SBS Servers, which comes as a component of the server.
      However, you can use Virtualization to achieve the same on your Vista Machine.
      Install a virtualization software, like VMWare Workstation, or Microsoft Virtual PC. Install the Server OS as a Virtual Machine, and then use the application within the Virtual Environment.
      Your Virtual Environment will be not be dependent of the Vista Machine, i.e. if in future you have to reinstall the Base machine OS, it will not effect the Virtual machine. The Virtual machine will be backup up and running as soon as you'll install the Virtualization software on the base machine.
      Please feel free to reply back if you have any queries.
      Regards,
      Pledge Technologies.
      Best Regards,
      Pledge Technologies

Comment

Originally posted by metazone View Post
        Can Active Directory be installed on a single Windows Vista machine that has no network connections?

I need to install a Java-based application that requires an LDAP v3 service available; the original developers have it working with Active Directory at their site. We need to put their application on a Windows Vista box that has no network (including internet) connections. I was going to put Active Directory on there as well; I am not a Windows admin and have never done this before.

Thanks,
        Bill
        Have a look at ADAM: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And here is a workaround to get it to run in vista :

http://dunnry.com/blog/InstallingADAMOnVista.aspx

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X