Windows 2K Domain Migration to Windows 2008/R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2K Domain Migration to Windows 2008/R2

As the title suggest, I want to upgrade my domain from windows 2k to windows 2008/2008R2. Currently I have the following setup:

2 x DC windows 2000 in native mode
    AD-integrated DNS on DCs
    1 x Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 server
    2 x windows 2003 file servers
    a few SQL 2000 boxes on windows 2000 server

I did create a test lab with a virtual copy of one of the domain controllers and SQL box (Vmware). I couldn't virtualize exchange because of disk space limitation. I tried the upgrade to standard windows 2008 domain and everything went well. I used these articles as a reference:

1) http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...2008+migration

2)http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...2008+migration

The only issue is that I couldn't test exchange. Is there something extra that I need to do if I have an exchange 2003 in the domain? Would everything be okay with I just go with article (1) like I did before? Please help.

Re: Windows 2K Domain Migration to Windows 2008/R2

If you have Exchange 2003 then your AD schema is already up to date with Exchange specific attributes, so all you need to do is update the schema for 2008 Domain Controllers. You shouldn't need to do anything for Exchange unless you are adding a newer version of Exchange to the domain.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      If you have Exchange 2003 then your AD schema is already up to date with Exchange specific attributes, so all you need to do is update the schema for 2008 Domain Controllers. You shouldn't need to do anything for Exchange unless you are adding a newer version of Exchange to the domain.
      Thanks for such a prompt reply. So, it should be pretty much like what I've done in my test setup. I suppose all the other services like DNS, DHCP, sharepoint & print services will be okay. I am planning to upgrade exchange as well but not at this instance. Maybe next year when exchange 2010 comes out.

Comment

we did it for a client recently, same scenario, except minus Exchange
        we found it pretty easy and straight forward.

A few bugs we hit though:
        - FRS can be replaced with DFS-R instead.
        - RRAS and IAS are replaced with NPS, and exporting/reimporting configuration isn't straight forward
        - we had a "clearswift" proxy device that used windows authentication - this is irrevocably broken with 2008 R2 until they release a fix, due to the way 2008 changes authentication. Expect similar behaviour with SQUID and Samba and other similar non-windows tools. (This probably includes NT4)

Also - get used to the concept of right clicking and saying "run as administrator" or "run elevated" (whichever it is...)even if u are logged on as Administrator
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Couple of other issues, Exchange 2007 does not yet support 2008 R2 although that may not be relevant. Also if you use Backup Exec version 12.5 doesn't work properly with R2 either although hotfixes are expected for this and Backup Exec 2010 is due Feb/March.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

also evaluate all your other programs like suggested by cruachan - things like

Backup Exec - it won't work with 2008 in versions earlier than 12.5.
            Brightstor Arcserv has a similar version requirement. - must be at least V12
            So does Veritas netbackup. (v6.5.5 for R2, v6.5.2 for other 200
            mcafee anti virus must be version 8.51 patch 5 or higher.

if you have any IAS or RRAS settings - they need to be reevaluated, they don't move easily...
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Couple of other issues, Exchange 2007 does not yet support 2008 R2 although that may not be relevant. Also if you use Backup Exec version 12.5 doesn't work properly with R2 either although hotfixes are expected for this and Backup Exec 2010 is due Feb/March.
              Thanks for the info. I do run backup exec 12.5, so need to look into this further. Please clarify:

- when you say BE12.5 doesn't support 2008R2, does it mean installing BE12.5 on 2008R2 or backing up a server that is 2008R2?
              - similar with exchange installing on 2008R2 is not supported, or installing in a 2008R2 domain is not supported.

Please clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                also evaluate all your other programs like suggested by cruachan - things like

Backup Exec - it won't work with 2008 in versions earlier than 12.5.
                Brightstor Arcserv has a similar version requirement. - must be at least V12
                So does Veritas netbackup. (v6.5.5 for R2, v6.5.2 for other 200
                mcafee anti virus must be version 8.51 patch 5 or higher.

if you have any IAS or RRAS settings - they need to be reevaluated, they don't move easily...
                thanks for all the info you provided. well we don't have any McAfee AV but do have trend. Any idea if it supports 2008/2008R2. I also run web marshal and mail marshal for web/email proxy. Might have to check support for that as well.

Comment

Trend Micro Office Scan, as a client, works fine on windows Server 2008.
                  I'm not sure about Server - although we will be moving that over at some point.

webmarshal/mailmarshal you may need to be concerned about, if they use domain authentication.
                  However, unless they are on the servers that will be upgraded to 2008, it's not a huge deal.

What I should have said earlier, is those programs I mentioned, it relates directly to the OS of the server they are running on. Backup Exec 10 for instance, won't give a damn if your domain controllers are 2008 or 2008R2, so long as you aren't trying to back them up using Bex. I apologise if I wasn't being clear

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. you both are amazing and helpful. added rep.

Mods: please keep this post open. I'll be upgrading the domain during Christmas break and might need to post back here if I find any useful information or run into anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X