Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc (was:Someone help!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc (was:Someone help!!!)

I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out for work, and I just can't do it!!! When opening the .msc file and connecting to domain controllers I have no issues. What I'm trying to do is save it so that the next time I log on those Domain controllers they are all there. Is this possible? It prompts me to save settings upon exit, but whether I do or not the next time I open it it goes back to the original. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Someone help!!!

Please read the rules again. Currently the title is less than descriptive, and we have no idea what OS you have.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I apologize, its Windows XP SP3.

Comment

open microsoft management console (start > run > mmc)
        file > add/remove snapin
        add
        Active directory users and computers
        close
        ok
        right click active diretcory users and computers, select connect to domain controller
        connect to the appropriate domain controller
        repeat until you have added an item for each DC you need
        file > save as > something.msc

see if that helps you.

Otherwise - give us some more information, including which MSC file you're opening etc.

DSA.MSC is actually saved in a mode that prevents you editing it by default iirc...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Ok thank you for your insight...but I do have a question before I try it. I am going through your steps as you suggested, and when I connect to the appropriate domain controller nothing is in the box...so I manually type in the 1st domain controller that I want to use. I then get this question:

Domain controller VHAALN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov is in domain xxx.xxx.xx.gov. You are gurrently administering domain. Do you want to administer xxx.xxx.xx.gov by using domain controller VHAALN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov?

Can there be any ill consequences doing this, or is this no different than connecting to the domain controller? I am totally new to AD and I just worry that by doing this I could mess up everyone elses AD. Am I being paranoid? Thank you for all your help though, I think you're on to something but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything that can affect other users. Thank you.

Comment

Update:

Ok so I gave it a try, no go. From what I take of the matter, it is defaulting to VHABUF3DC2.xxx.xxx.xx.gov, and there are about 7 domains I need to connect to each time I open the .msc file when I start for the day. What I ultimately am looking for is to open the file and not have to right click and connect to domain controller every day, but just have them be there upon opening the file. Thanks to everyone so far!

Comment

Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc
              Moderator changed title to: "Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc"

Putty31, you can try this batch,

it'll execute dsa.msc with startup parameters, telling where to connect to directly.
              (note, the order of the parameters may not be changed!)

Code:

@echo off & setlocal

:: connect to this Domain Controller...
              Set "strDC=VHAALN3DC1"
              Set "strDomain=xxx.xxx.xx.gov"

:: show only this OU subtree...  (or, leave that option empty: Set "strRDN=" )
              Set "strRDN=OU=Domain Controllers"

:: Open DSA using the arguments...
              start ""/B MMC.exe /A DSA.msc /RDN="%strRDN%" /DOMAIN="%strDomain%" /SERVER="%strDC%.%strDomain%"

:: ( The "/A switch" is OPTIONAL and added only
              ::   JUST to enable: remember last_opened_container=Y/N, 
              ::   you can delete this parameter if you like )

endlocal
              (you might need to include the full path to DSA.msc in this batch ? in that case wrap "c:\path to\DSA.msc" between quotes)

Note,
              instead of using a batch to launch DSA.msc, you could also use a shortcut to provide these command line arguments for DSA.msc.

\Rems
              Last edited by Rems; 3rd December 2009, 17:10. Reason: changed title

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc (was:Someone help!!

This looks great, thank you so much for your help. I do have one more question which is how would I add the six other DC's I have to connect to? For example's sake I have VHABAN3DC1, VHABAT3DC1, and so on. Is that possible? I can't wait until I get to work on Saturday night to give this a try....thanks so much!

Comment

Re: Starting AD MMC consoles focused on a particular domain or dc (was:Someone help!!

Originally posted by putty31 View Post
                  This looks great, thank you so much for your help. I do have one more question which is how would I add the six other DC's I have to connect to? For example's sake I have VHABAN3DC1, VHABAT3DC1, and so on. Is that possible? I can't wait until I get to work on Saturday night to give this a try....thanks so much!
                  Simply by creating one and the other 6 shortcuts on you desktop,

shortcut 1:
                  Code:
                  DSA.msc /RDN="" /DOMAIN=xxx.xxx.xx.gov /SERVER=VHAALN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov
                  Give shortcut 1 a name like: DSA.msc VHAALN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov

shortcut 2:
                  Code:
                  DSA.msc /RDN="" /DOMAIN=xxx.xxx.xx.gov /SERVER=VHABAN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov
                  Give shortcut 2 a name something like: DSA.msc VHABAN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov

shortcut 3:
                  Code:
                  DSA.msc /RDN="" /DOMAIN=xxx.xxx.xx.gov /SERVER=VHABAT3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov
                  Give shortcut 3 a name like: DSA.msc VHABAT3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov

same for...
                  shortcut 4, shortcut 5 and shortcut 6

(you might have to provide the full path to the DSA.msc file in each shortcut when Windows is not able to locate the file by itself. In that case wrap "c:\full path to\DSA.msc" between quotes (without embedding the parameters) )

And here's a Batch Solution (to open all same time):
                  Code:
                  @COLOR 6a & TITLE connecting ADUC to particular Domain Controllers
                  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                  :: Open ADU&C multiple times connected to different Domain Controllers.
                  :: Batch created by: Remco Simons [NL] 2009
                  :: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=42309
                  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

@echo off & setlocal

:: Optional Variable, 
                  :: variable "strSubtree" could be a one 
                  :: container's Relative Distinguished Name

:: [1] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree=OU=Domain Controllers"
                  call:OpenADUC "%strSubtree%" "xxx.xxx.xx.gov" "VHAALN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov"

:: [2] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree="
                  call:OpenADUC "%strSubtree%" "xxx.xxx.xx.gov" "VHABAN3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov"

:: [3] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree="
                  call:OpenADUC "%strSubtree%" "xxx.xxx.xx.gov" "VHABAT3DC1.xxx.xxx.xx.gov"

:: [4] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree="

:: [5] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree="

:: [6] Connect to...
                  Set "strSubtree="

goto:-OpenADUC Subroutine-
                     :OpenADUC
                     :: (you might have to provide the full path to the DSA.msc file here
                     ::   when Windows is not able to locate the file by itself. In that case
                     ::   wrap "c:\full path to\DSA.msc" between quotes (without embedding
                     ::   the parameters in between) )
                     Start ""/B MMC.exe DSA.msc /RDN="%~1" /DOMAIN="%~2" /SERVER="%~3"
                     exit /b 0
                  :-OpenADUC end of Subroutine-

endlocal
                  To give to the bach the same icon DSA is using:
                  - save the batch in a folder on the computer or networkshare
                  - on Your desktop create a shortcut to the batch
                  - open the Properties window of the shortcut and Change icon
                  - you can find the ADU&C icon in this file: DSADMIN.DLL

\Rems
                  Last edited by Rems; 4th December 2009, 20:14.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Rems- You are totally awesome and I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. I was able to follow your guide and have come so so so close to achieving my goal. Thank you! What I am really wondering if it is possible to have it all open in one .msc file. Right now when I run the batch file I get six different .msc files (though that is so much further than I had been so thank you again). I hope I am being clear enough so as not to cause any confusion on this. When I open the file normally there are all 6 snap ins on one .msc file, and then I manually connect to each one of them. The nifty batch file you gave me opens each one automatically, but in six different .msc files. What I would really love (if it were possible) would be to run a batch file that opens all six in one .msc file. I hope this doesn't sound too greedy, you've been so awesome thus far. Thank you again for everything! I really appreciate it!

Edit- I've been looking into this all night and perhaps if I word it a bit better my point will be more clear. I guess instead of loading the main DC I am looking to load the DC for each individual Snap-in. Is that possible?
                    Last edited by putty31; 5th December 2009, 13:37. Reason: More Information

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on this? What I'm ultimately looking for is a way to automatically connect to the snap-ins (I have 7). Rems did an awesome job setting up a batch file that opens all 7 in their individual ACUC window, I am looking to have 1 window open with all 7 assigned to a different snap in. Any help would be so greatly appreciated =)

Comment

Bumping in hopes someone has an idea how to do this...still unable to figure it out XD

Comment

Working...
                        X