No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

Hi All

Next week I'm going to install a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 ( well...obviusly no x86 version out there ) for a Root and Child Domain Controllers in a 30 domains forest. I'll start with a new configuration and since the number of domain controllers is very high, we won't use a multidisk configuration.
    I mean: the Disk Layout will be made up by 2x146 disks for both Operating System and Active Directory Database (please, don't blame this decision, it's not my responsibility).

My thought is:
    2x 72 GB partitions C: and D: with this layout
    C: -> Windows + NTDS + SYSVOL
    D: -> Just the daily System State backups.

Any suggestion on this? (consider that current NTDS.dit for the root global catalogs is just 200 MB).
    Any better layout?
    I was thinking that 72 GB could be too small for future service packs? Actually 64bit installations could be larger than 32bit ones, so maybe another layoud could be
    C: -> 100 GB
    D: -> 40 GB
    but I'm not sure about future
    (in any case if 40 GB is not enough in the future I could just buy new disks for backups, delete D: and resize C: to 146 GB)

Any suggestion is appreciated

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

32gb is minimum recommended, although MS do say go for more if you have large (~16gb) amounts of RAM so there's room for paging etc.

I agree with you in that the NTDS and SYSVOL should be on a seperate partition, but it seems you've already lost that battle. I also have to ask why you are backing up the System State on the DC to a partition on the same DC? That seems a bit odd to me.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

First, thanks for your answer.

Currently the basic OS installation for 2008 R2 x64 is about 16 GB, so considering the min. of 32 GB, I think I won't have problems with 72 GB for the next 2 service packs

BTW, systemstate backup is done as an additional backup. Then after the systemstate is completed there will be a second backup with Tivoli Storage Manager that will copy the systemstate file to the tape library and it will perform the TSM backup of Active Directory with its agent.