Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

Hi All

Next week I'm going to install a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 ( well...obviusly no x86 version out there ) for a Root and Child Domain Controllers in a 30 domains forest. I'll start with a new configuration and since the number of domain controllers is very high, we won't use a multidisk configuration.
    I mean: the Disk Layout will be made up by 2x146 disks for both Operating System and Active Directory Database (please, don't blame this decision, it's not my responsibility).

My thought is:
    2x 72 GB partitions C: and D: with this layout
    C: -> Windows + NTDS + SYSVOL
    D: -> Just the daily System State backups.

Any suggestion on this? (consider that current NTDS.dit for the root global catalogs is just 200 MB).
    Any better layout?
    I was thinking that 72 GB could be too small for future service packs? Actually 64bit installations could be larger than 32bit ones, so maybe another layoud could be
    C: -> 100 GB
    D: -> 40 GB
    but I'm not sure about future
    (in any case if 40 GB is not enough in the future I could just buy new disks for backups, delete D: and resize C: to 146 GB)

Any suggestion is appreciated
    --
    T.A.C.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

32gb is minimum recommended, although MS do say go for more if you have large (~16gb) amounts of RAM so there's room for paging etc.

I agree with you in that the NTDS and SYSVOL should be on a seperate partition, but it seems you've already lost that battle. I also have to ask why you are backing up the System State on the DC to a partition on the same DC? That seems a bit odd to me.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Disks layout for DCs in a forest

First, thanks for your answer.

Currently the basic OS installation for 2008 R2 x64 is about 16 GB, so considering the min. of 32 GB, I think I won't have problems with 72 GB for the next 2 service packs

BTW, systemstate backup is done as an additional backup. Then after the systemstate is completed there will be a second backup with Tivoli Storage Manager that will copy the systemstate file to the tape library and it will perform the TSM backup of Active Directory with its agent.

Comment

Working...
      X