No announcement yet.

ADPREP issue with 2k3 and 2k3 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPREP issue with 2k3 and 2k3 R2

I have a win 2k3 standard server running Active Directory
    I have a second server running Win 2k3 R2 Server as a memeber server and I want to promote this second server to a Domain Controller.

Dcpromo on the R2 machine gives me an error:

"The Active Directory Instalation wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. Use Adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain.
    The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer"

I have the adprep.exe from the second R2 CD but when I try to run it i gives me this error message:
    "The image file for ADPREP.EXE is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine.

How do I use ADPREP, frm which CD and where do I run it, which machine, how?

Thank you,

Re: ADPREP issue with 2k3 and 2k3 R2

Hi there,

I know that adprep is a utility to prepare windows 2000 forests for the installation of windows server 2003 domain controllers.

Have you tried running Adprep from the cmd line:

C:\adprep>adprep /forestprep (assuming of course you've dumped adprep.exe in the c:\ drive (or indeed run it from the cd)

Also check out this petri article. It may assist!
    Last edited by gingerbeast121; 25th November 2009, 16:24.

I have a win 2003 server (not win 2000 server) as AD. The domain is already raised to 2003 level, also.

I just need to make the second win 2003 R2 member server to be a domain controller.

And it doesn't let me indicating the errors in my first message here.

I am guessing there are differences between w2k3 and w2k3R2 schemas so either I can update the schema on w2k3 to or I update the whole server w2k3 to R2 somehow, then do dcpromo on the second server. But I do not know how....
      I do have the media CDs for w2k3 and the 2 discs for w2k3R2, what can I do to have 2 DCs?

Thank you,

Are all you Server 32bit devices or is the new one 64bit?
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: ADPREP issue with 2k3 and 2k3 R2 - fix found

al 32 bit, i didn't say anything about 64....

but i found the fix:

Have a read of this :
          There's a link which will provide a download for the correct version. You need to run it on your schema master as well.

Have to copy adprep.exe from x86 folder to its parent folder and run it there

(no adprep from any cd worked, not from w2k3, not from w2k3R2 CD1 or CD2. But it worked with the downloaded version from the link above)