• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a ip address points to multiple machine names

hi guys,

im new here.

the problem what i got here is.

an ip address points to three different machine names.

two of those machine names appear on the ADUC and one machine name does not appear on it.

among those two of them, i know who's using the machine name because i've added it in AD to solve the login problem of the user caused by different machine name exist with same ip address. but i have no idea which user uses another machine.

when i ping all the three machines, they ping all the same ip address.
    tried ipconfig /resigerdns on the machine that i've just added but it doesn't help.

i don't have prilvilege to access DC. is there anything that i could do at the client side?

thank you in advance!!

Re: a ip address points to multiple machine names

Most likely you have multiple A records in DNS pointing to 1 IP Address, common cause for this is DHCP.

you can open up the DNS Snap in and sort the field IP Address you can easily see the 3 IP address and the host names, delete the incorrect machines, then ipconfig /registerdns on the machines that where invalid.

Make sure you have secure dynamic updates in DNS properties for your domain.

and in DHCP Properties make sure Allow Dynamic updates is enabled.

Thanks
    MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
    Attitude Makes The Difference!
    in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Comment

Hi,
      I guess IKON gives the correct solution.
      I too hope for the same.

Comment

yes, I also hope that this is the very right solution.

he need to delete A records in Forward and then in reverse lookup zone ... if he will not delete records from reverse lookup zone, he will not be able to get the accurate results...

Comment

Hey man , if the DNS is working fine and this is a problem from only 1 system (you own). other peoples in network have no issue, then use this command.

>Ipconfig/ flushdns

Comment

..Or for a more proactive approach you could use DNS Aging and scavenging : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...41(WS.10).aspx
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X