Active Directory Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Problems

Hello all. Nice forums......I'm having some problems with AD. I transferred active directory master to a new server but somethings not working right. Here's the breakdown. I the old Master server "HSDC" was acting goofy so i transferred the master to another server "Storage1". Here's what happening, when I go to manage group policy in AD and the HSDC server is not online, I get a message saying it cannot find the server. I can't edit GP unless I bring HSDC online. Also, some people cannot log in to the network unless HSDC is online to.
    Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

--Jerry

Re: Active Directory Problems

Hi,

How exactly did you do the transfer? Go over this article to make sure you have followed all the steps: http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm
    Also is the other server also a DNS server?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Havent checked that link, but, did you really transfer all roles? there is 5 that can be hosted on a DC and there is 5 if you only have one domain controller.

They can be identified by: netdom query /domain:YOURDOMAIN fsmo

Is the new DC "Storage1" a Global Catalog, it should be if that one is the only DV turned on.

Did you modify your DHCP Scope to point to the "new" DC as DNS server?

Comment

I cant stress enough how important replication is, you should run netdom query fsmo on all DC's make sure they all report the same information.

also use replmon and repadmin to check replication before you start shutting down DC's.

transfering a role and shutting the server down is not good practise without performing the above steps.
        MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
        Attitude Makes The Difference!
        in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Comment

It's always good to let things settle down and replicate after any major change in AD. I usually wait at least an hour if I can.
          GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys.....Storage1 DIED on me so on HSDC<---Fixed kinda*
            I seized all the roles back and am now in the process of building another server to become my main server since HSDC will be taken offline here soon...
            Thanks
            --Jerry

Comment

Working...
            X