Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD replication question

Hi,
    I got 2 DCs on different sites on the same domain.
    My question is what will happen if i create the same user at the same time simultaneously on both DCs?
    will it cause a replication error? maybe i'll get an error while creating one of the users? or maybe it will have replication error but the one will overrun the other user?

Just wondering...

Thanks in advance!

Re: AD replication question

Create and tell us
    +)

Added:
    The only way you can have a duplicate RDN is if two objects are created on different domain controllers (DCs). But at the next replication cycle, the system will rename the older object.
    http://www.windowsitsecurity.com/art...rticleid=22340
    Last edited by Anton.Makrushin; 4th October 2009, 21:26.

Comment

sound reasonable
      thanks Anton!

Comment

IIRC, the RIDMaster FSMO role hands out pools of RIDS to DCs, so there is never a chance of duplicate SIDs (made from RID + other data) being created. Same name etc may be an issue since these must be unique to an OU
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are chances of introducing duplicate SIDs in the environment when restoring a DC that used to be a RID Master.

If Initial Sync is disabled on RID Master that is restored, this can happen quite easily: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305476
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by JaPaTa View Post
            Hi,
            I got 2 DCs on different sites on the same domain.
            My question is what will happen if i create the same user at the same time simultaneously on both DCs?
            will it cause a replication error? maybe i'll get an error while creating one of the users? or maybe it will have replication error but the one will overrun the other user?

Just wondering...

Thanks in advance!
            When that happens an object name conflict occurs and AD automatically changes the RDN with the earliest timestamp to a unique name with the CNF prefix which indicates a conflict resolution.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727059.aspx
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X