Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software restrictions

Hi all,
    Basic history of myself.. I am new to AD and taking over equipment and AD setup done by someone else who left the workplace with no instructions.. So I do apologize if I sound dumb.. What I am trying to do is disable the access of regedit.exe and to prevent students from changing the background or screen resolutions.

The systems that students use are on Windows XP and have no Administrator access. But yet they can still run regedit.exe and change the color of the background and change the wallpaper.

Now I have went through gpedit and found out you can disable the use of regedit from there but I have about 100 computers to do. I was wondering if it was possible to set it through their NT account? Same thing with screen resolution or backgrounds?

I would appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks.

Re: Software restrictions

Are these computers members of an AD domain? If so, you can accomplish this through the domain Group Policies.

Comment

Yep all the computers are on the same domain controller.. Do you know which policy is for preventing changing the screen settings? I looked but I think I am skipping it ..

Comment

For restricting the display go to:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Display

For restricting access to regedit go to:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System

Comment

Background works.. thanks

Now i did the same thing with registry and it worked.. But when I went back and reset the settings to default and waited for like 5 minutes, I still could not run regedit.exe. I had to take it off the domain and join it back to fix it.. Other computers cannot run regedit.exe .. Any ideas .. Thanks
          Last edited by noob; 2nd October 2009, 21:42.

Comment

You need to refresh the GPO on the client after you make changes.

For user settings you can log off and back on to the computer or run "gpupdate /force" from a command prompt.

For computer settings you can restart the computer or run "gpupdate /force" from a command prompt.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Apparently it was working, a friend of mine played a practical joke on me so...

Comment

ok.. how do you disable them from arranging icons? looked at gpedit.msc

Comment

Originally posted by noob View Post
                  ok.. how do you disable them from arranging icons? looked at gpedit.msc
                  Might be a predefined option but this is the way we've done it.

Create a Computer GPO, apply to the computers you want to enable auto arrange.

add the following to the Policy->Windows Settings->Security Settings ->Regsitery
                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\Desktop]
                  "FFlags"=dword:00000225

In the GPO use .default under USER

Comment

I changed the registry setting to 221 from 224 and once I log off and log back on it sets itself back too 224.. Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                    X