New user can't log in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user can't log in

Windows 2003 Servers Stand Ed, all 64 bit. Two are DC's. Exch 2007 Stand. Ed. as well.

I created a new user and I can't log in to my domain with the users credentials. I also can't log into the OWA to view the users mail.

I have deleted and re-created the user but still no luck, I've also change the users password still nothing.

Re: New user can't log in

Are you definately creating domain users, not local users on one of the member servers?

Check that the users you create are being replicated to the other DC.

If you reset the password for an existing user, are you able to logon as that user using the old/new password?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Could you be a little more specific about the exact error message for us, and also let us know which device you are testing the new user login on ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have over 150 users. I create all users the same. Add their logon.bat and home directory. Everyone must change their password at first log on. Pretty basic AD stuff.

But I still can't log on as this one particular user. Deleted and re-created the user, changed the password over and over. Still no luck. All users are on the domain and not local. All pc's are on the domain as well. It's not a romain profile as well. Everyone uses win xp pro on their desktops. All users are admin to their local box.

Replication between both AD's work just fine.

Comment

Have you tried with that user on a couple of machines and also deleted their local profile? How about other users logging onto the same machine? Can they connect ok to Exchange? Can that user use OWA ok?

(ignore me, just read it was on the ad forum)

Comment

yes, I can log in as a different user on several machines, including setting up their Outlook. I can also log in via OWA as different users.

It's just this one user that I can't log in on any domain pc. Can't log into OWA as well. Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              Have you tried with that user on a couple of machines and also deleted their local profile? How about other users logging onto the same machine? Can they connect ok to Exchange? Can that user use OWA ok?

(ignore me, just read it was on the ad forum)
              tried it on 3 different PC's, I also created a new user over the weekend and I was able to log in as that new user with no problems on 3 different PC's as well. truly weird!

Comment

How many DC's do you have? Are you sure it's not an issue with replication and thus authenticating to a domain controller that's not up to date?
                GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Originally posted by stamandster View Post
                  How many DC's do you have? Are you sure it's not an issue with replication and thus authenticating to a domain controller that's not up to date?

I have two DC's. Just created a new user named Test Me. Logged in on my laptop as Test Me, changed the password when prompted to, added my exchange settings and everything works just fine. It's just this one user.

Comment

What username are you using for this user? While I highly doubt there's a bug in Windows Server that prevents certain usernames from authenticating, it's a 5 second job for someone to test it I guess.

Give this try - right click on a folder, press Properties and click on the Security tab. Press Add and enter the username and press Check Names. Does it recognise the username correctly?

Have you ever had a user with this username before?
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I had a similar issue once in which a user was not able to log on. It was due to the fact that there was an '@' symbol in the password and the regional keyboard settings were different between the computer I had created the account on and the computer I was trying to log in using, meaning the @ symbol was in a different place.

I would first reset the password and then type the password into the username field in order to eliminate this as a cause. This sounds like a really simple issue to me, I think it'd be worthwhile to double check all the basics.
                      Last edited by dbutch1976; 24th September 2009, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                        tried it on 3 different PC's, I also created a new user over the weekend and I was able to log in as that new user with no problems on 3 different PC's as well. truly weird!
                        Very bazaar. Just a long shot. The acocunt that works, have you considered deleting the user account that doesn't log in and then renaming the account that does?

Comment

Working...
                        X