resizing Partition that contains the AD Schema

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resizing Partition that contains the AD Schema

I have inherited a server that has a Raid 1 config with 2 partitions, C and D. Nothing unusual here. However, the C partition is really small, so small that I cannot apply any patches. I want to resize the C: partition however as this is an AD machine, I am concerned about corrupting the AD Schema when I do this. Besides having a full backup of everything on this server, is there anything I need to be concerned about before I resize? Or am I just being overly paranoid here?

Re: resizing Partition that contains the AD Schema

Presumably you test your backups regularly and know how to restore everything. That being the case, since everything is backed up and verified, then there's nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario, you restore from the backup.

If on the other hand you don't test your backups, don't know how to restore from them, don't verify them and only have a single backup, then yes there would be cause for concern

Regarding corrupting AD, are there any other DCs? If so, you could perhaps demote this server, resize the partitions and then promote it again. If not, then you could consider installing Windows Server on a spare machine, promoting it and then demoting and flattening it after the work. Be sure to leave plenty of time for replication and to make this server a GC and DNS, and to transfer the FSMO roles. Also be sure you have licences to cover you for this - some Volume Licence plans allow you to add extra seats when necessary (such as the OVS).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gareth,

Thanks for the advice. I've never had to do an AD restore in my current environment, so perhaps I will start there first and make sure the B/U I do have will actually do the job. Again, new environment, so lot's of work to be done. Having never had to extend a partition on an AD server, I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing wierd or wonderful I should know. Given your response, I suspect that I am on the right track. Thanks.

Comment

Before we ditched SBS, we used Acronis to expand the three partitions on the array, including the partition hosting AD. Just ensure your UPS lasts for a decent length of time.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X