2003 AD Defrag questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 AD Defrag questions

I'm about to do a defrag on a couple of domain controllers (and an Exchange Server) this upcoming weekend and had a couple of quick questions.

We have two DCs, both of which are GCs as well. The schedule has been set to take down the network so.... Now, this will be the first time I've done defrags in this way (rephrase...I've never been the one responsible for doing the defrags), so I'm a little paranoid.

Since we have a total net outage scheduled, do I run the defrag on basically only one DC (the one with the PDC emulator) and let repl push changes, or run defrag on both DCs? If on both DCs (which is my assumption) can I do both at the same time?

Thanks

Re: 2003 AD Defrag questions

Assuming we are talking about disk defrags, why would it cause changes to AD?
    All it is doing is moving blocks of files around to make them contiguous
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oops, guess I didn't phrase very well. Going to be 'compacting' the AD Database

Comment

Why would you want to do that? Has someone told you it's necessary?

Comment

Hi,

Look at this for compacting the AD database: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232122
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks L4ndy,
            Quick question, can I perform this in both DCs at the same time, or should I simply stick to running one at a time.

Thx again

Comment

Since it's an offline deffrag then the answer is yes if you can afford the down time. Otherwise just do it one at a time.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Why would you want to do that? Has someone told you it's necessary?
                From what I can find, the database hasn't gone through an offline defrag since the Active Directory was originally put in to place. Since then, they have gone through an NT4 domain migration, an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration and an Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 migration. Plus the domain controllers have had issues in the past, to where I just want to make sure that all of has been cleaned out and the dbase is as healthy as can be.

Comment

An offline defrag doesn't do any clean up that I'm aware of. Garbage collection runs during an online defrag every 12 hours by default. An offline defrag only compacts the database and reduces the physical file size. How big is the database file? Honestly, I've never done an offline defrag and can't see it as being a recommended maintenance task.

Comment

Remember to take a Windows (NT) System state backup of at least one DC before you proceed.

The database itself may not get replicated and defrag may need to be done individually on all DC's. You may note the size of each database before and after, to get the right answer.

I recommend doing one DC and the second at a later time. As both DC's are GC's there should not be any downtime if one of the DC goes down. Ensure that no machine / application is pointing to a specific DC. Example exchange should not be pointed to a specific DC and should be set to automatically discover DC's.
                    AD Admin

Comment

Working...
                    X