Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"cannot find the server" when try to join a machine to domain (was:Newbie Question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "cannot find the server" when try to join a machine to domain (was:Newbie Question)

Hello, I am a bit new to configuring Mircosoft Windows Server AD and DNS. Here is my set up. I should point out this is for a home lab/network.

I have Windows Server 2008 installed with the DNS roll and AD/Domain roll installed (the IP for the server is 192.168.1.11 and the domain name is whatever.com). There are about 5 computers that I want to add to the domain. I would like to continue to have my router handle DHCP for the various machines that are on the network.

When I go to one of the desktops and run the wizard to add the machine to the domain I get an error that it can not find the server. I should aslo point out that the DNS IP addresses on the desktops is getting pulled from the router. The IP for the DNS servers on the router is (17.x.x.1 and 17.x.x.2).

Can I continue to have the desktops get thier DNS IP addresses from the router or do I have to use the IP address on my DNS?

I hope this makes sense

Re: Newbie Question

The computers need to communicate with the domain DC/DNS server in order to join the domain and in order to function on the domain. You can have the computers point to the DC/DNS server as their primary DNS and point at the router for their secondary DNS.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The computers need to communicate with the domain DC/DNS server in order to join the domain and in order to function on the domain. You can have the computers point to the DC/DNS server as their primary DNS and point at the router for their secondary DNS.
      A few questions:

1.) If I set that at the router level will there be an issue?

2.) do I need to set up some type of forward on the DC/DNS to go to the external DNS?

Comment

there's like 6 ways to do everything, so here's how to keep it simple:

1. If your router allows you to set the DNS servers used by the DHCP clients then set it at the router for the clients to use the DC/DNS server as their DNS server. If not, then set up DHCP on the DC/DNS and use that as your DHCP server and set the options there.

2. On the DC/DNS server, set it to use itself as primary DNS and use the router as it's secondary DNS.

There are other ways to do this but this is simple and should work.

Comment

Remember your DC needs a static IP address and in the same subnet range of your clients for easier communication.

Joining the desktops to the domain would work as long as you are able to ping both ways or access data between the DC and client.
          AD Admin

Comment

Working...
          X