Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with FSMO server

Hello!

I hope this hasn't been asked/answered too many times before. I did search on my question, but wanted to ask about what happened specifically with my servers.

First, some background - I have two 2003 domain controllers, both are global catalogs. The old server is 2003 Std 32-bit (dc1), and the new one is 2003 Std x64 (dc2).

Last Thursday, something happened to dc2's C partition. Windows wouldn't boot and I apparently didn't have a decent backup of it. So on Friday I ended up reinstalling Windows and used the same name for the computer when I brought it back up (Windows 2003 Std x64). The server that had the problem was the FSMO role holder. Of course it was never demoted, so things got a bit screwed up in AD.

At the moment, I'm getting errors in the directory service log about how "the FSMO role is set to a server which is deleted or does not exist". The server is online, but AD doesn't know of a current FSMO server. Netdiag and dcdiag report the same thing, that there's no known PDC role emulator.

I've tried to revert the role to the old server in MMC through the schema snap-in, but it says "the current FSMO could not be contacted".

I've read about seizing the roles through ntdsutil. I could potentially seize the role back to the old domain controller (dc1), but I'm planning on retiring that server sometime this year. And from everything I've read, I can't make the new server an FSMO role holder again unless I format and reinstall Windows, which I don't want to do again. Any advice on what to do? It would be great if there's some simple way to make the new server realize it's the FSMO server again.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

Re: Problem with FSMO server

It's not clear from your post whether or not you have already promoted DC2. Nor is it all that clear whether or not you've reinstalled Windows - part of the post suggests you have, part suggests you haven't.

If you haven't promoted the server, good. If you have, then...

You need to delete the metadata of the failed DC before you promote its replacement.

Before you do that, you need to seize any FSMO roles that server held to the remaining server. Even if you're going to retire that server later - you'll just transfer them back before you do.

As DC2 failed, I don't see how you have any choice but to reinstall Windows on there?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if it wasn't too clear about what I've done. Last Friday, I reinstalled Windows from scratch on the failed server (dc2), and I was able to promote it to a domain controller successfully. So it is currently online as a DC and global catalog.

Should I maybe seize the FSMO role to dc1, demote dc2 to a member server, do the ntdsutil metadata cleanup, and then promote it again in a few days to a DC?

Or can I just seize the FSMO role to dc1 and do the ntdsutil metadata cleanup without demoting dc2? I'm not clear on whether the metadata cleanup should be done while dc2 is still a domain controller. Seems like it should be demoted and then the cleanup should be done. But I'm not 100% sure and don't want to break things worse, so that's why I ask.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you've already repromoted DC2, then I honestly don't know the best way to proceed. If you've used the same hostname I'm quite surprised that it worked...

I would demote the server and shut it down, seize the roles to DC1, cleanup the metadata, reinstall Windows on DC2 and then repromote it.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hello again,

I did as you suggested in the most recent post, and things seem to be good at the moment. dc1 knows it's the FSMO role holder and so does dc2, and replication of AD is occurring, etc. So I think it's all better now.

I have no idea how it was allowed to become a DC on Friday after I reinstalled Windows. I guess I'm special or something! Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

Comment

No problem. Hopefully you won't have a failed DC again, but if you do now you know how to get around it
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X