Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help in Installing AD in Intranet

Hi All,

I am in a process in setting up an environment that can be accessed by different users at different locations within my organization's intranet. For this I want to install an AD that has to be configured with a tool. But as AD works as a domain controller so the networking folks in my organization are not allowing to install it in domain and asking it to install in an isolated environment. But the isolated environment will not suffice our needs as it has to be accessed from different locations. I have also asked for ADAM, but they are not allowing for the same.
    Is there any other work around of this problem?

Thanks
    Gaurav

Re: Need Help in Installing AD in Intranet

Can you please tell us (a lot) more about your current infrastructure and what you have already got set up?
    Do you have an active directory domain already or is this still a workgroup
    Please explain what you mean by "install an AD that has to be configured with a tool" ? The tools are part of the AD installation (dcpromo) but you can also install them on a workstation
    networking folks in my organization are not allowing to install it in domain and asking it to install in an isolated environment
    Please explain what you mean here!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yeah im a lil lost too...what do you mean ?

Comment

Basically this is realted with a project, not like setting up an AD for an organization. This is required to set up an environment for this project only. Actually I have an identity manager product from oracle that is used for managing user on different resources like AD, Oracle database, Sun One Directory Server etc. We have to use AD as a target system with this product. For this we need an AD instance. As there is already an AD that is working as domain controller in my organization, so the people are not allowing to have another AD in the domain because they are saying that there may be some conflicts and it will expose the complete organisational infrastructure to us. They are asking to install it in an isolated environment means there will be no connection with my organisation's network. But in that case it will not be accessible to the people sitting at other locations.

So I just want to know, is there any workaround so that we can setup an AD that will not affect our existing organizational infrastructure and also accessible to the people working at different locations.

Comment

Are the people working at different locations part of your Company? I assume, yes. Are you wanting a SSO solution or are you able to allow them to logon to the Intranet after logging onto windows? How many users are there? What is the Intranet running? e.g. Sharepoint maybe?

Comment

Yes, you are right that the people are at different location of the company. I don't want any SSO. As I mentioned I am using a product, you can consider it as a simple web application, that has to be integrated with AD. Suppose on one machine we have AD installed and on another we have the product installed and we want to integrate it. So, it's necessary both of them to communicate. The users will only access the GUI of the product and not AD directly. So, my basic concern is that the product should be able to communicate with AD. But if AD will be in isolated network and the product will be in organization network, it will not be possible for them to communicate...right? So I want to install both of them in company network.

Comment

But if AD will be in isolated network and the product will be in organization network, it will not be possible for them to communicate...right?

That's not neccessarily true. What type of authentication does the product use? Even with Windows Integrated Authentication it could work. Windows Integrated Authentication works like this:

The client browser attempts to log in using the credentials of the user running the browser. If this fails, the browser presents a logon dialog box to the user so the user can provide the proper credentials.

Comment

The product has its own user repository and authenticates against this only.

Comment

So it's repository has to be able to query AD right? What options exist for telling it what AD, DC to query from?

Comment

There is no problem with 2 domains being installed in a single network. If your IT guys are scared and dont allow you install the AD within your network then you have to think of installing outside the network.

Do your users have internet access? If yes, then have the 2 machines, one with AD setup connected to your external router or even on a separate internet connection if possible. Install all that you want including ADAM and enjoy.

You may even use a virtual server at an external datacenter if the data is not sensitive.

If your company cannot afford a leased server at a data center or a dedicated machine connected to your external router or a separate internet connection then I cant think of an alternative.
                    AD Admin

Comment

gaurav, any updates on this?

Curious, is there a reason why they don't want to connect it to the main AD? I can think of reasons why, but I'm curious as to what the IT department says. Also curious as to what Oracle's opinion is on this situation.

Since this is for a project, how long is it expected for this environment to be up for?
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X