No announcement yet.

Best Active directory topology

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Active directory topology

We have 5 branch office and one Head office. All connected with MPLS with 2mpbs bandwidth with redundant link. On each branch office we have around 7 servers need to deploy for new setup windows 2008.
    Head office has old setup with windows 2003 with sp2 and exchange 2003 sp2.
    At Head office has just single domain and only one default site.

My concern is to know what is the best topology we need to adopt at branch offices for Active directory and exchange administration separately.

If you need more please ask me.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by luvali; 24th August 2009, 13:45.

Re: Best Active directory topology

Do the branch offices have a DC? Are they in the domain?

Are you asking for star & bus topology?

If you ae looking for the AD implementation design then the answer is - each branch if at a far location would need to have its own virtual site. Depending on how many users and how much reduncy do you need. You may have a DC at each site if its feasable.

I hope this answers your question.
    AD Admin

When using multiple sites, each site should have at least one DC that is configured as a Global Catalog (GC). If you do not want to do that, and considering you're using Win2003 and above, you ***should*** probably implement Universal Group Membership Caching. Otherwise, if the WAN link is down, users in the site might not be able to log in.

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

In the remote sites, I would be inclined to add a RODC rather than a DC - cross-site inconsistencies, although rare, can be a pain in the butt.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.