Problem joining pre-staged computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem joining pre-staged computer

I am fairly new to AD, and am working on testing a new deployment. We will be pre-staging all of the computer accounts into various OUs. The goal is that on the client machine the local IT Tech will just have to use the System Properties GUI dialog, type the domain name and computer name (the name that we have pre-staged in the proper OU). Then our GPOs would take affect for this machine upon restart.

So I am creating the computer account with the target hostname within the desired OU. The account doesn't exist any where else. Then when on the client, using my domain admin credentials, I get a failure message stating that the account already exists-- implying that it was trying to add a new computer instead of recognizing the pre-existing computer account in the OU. I thought this was the point of pre-staging.

Any ideas?

Re: Problem joining pre-staged computer

IIRC this shouldnt apply to a domain admin, but did you set the "users who are allowed to join this computer to the domain" option?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It stated "Domain Admins" which I left as-is. I am just using my credentials when prompted in the System Properties dialog. I am a Domain Admin, so I thought this would be acceptable.

I just tried the following:

1) create computer account in the proper OU
      2) Client is currently set to workgroup: blah and computer name: whatever
      3) Change client computer name to target name in AD, but leave as workgroup blah
      4) restart so hostname is now my target name
      5) now change the workgroup to domain
      6) enter credentials

This seems to work fine. But if I am changing the hostname and the computer name at the same time. It seems like its doing the AD registration with the old hostname first, then trying to rename the old hostname to new hostname and complaining of a duplicate.

Any thoughts? Workarounds? Is this expected? Or do I just have to deal with yet another restart?

Thanks so much for any help!
      Steve

Comment

However, note that now I try to rename the computer again. In this case, its already joined, but I want to rename from blah1 to blah2-- both of which are pre-staged. This can't be the expected behavior. I really hope its something in AD I have set wrong!

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

Hope I have understood you correctly. I have an issue before when renaming a computer and joining it to the domain at the same time. Rename the computer first and restart it. Leave it in the current workgroup. You can then join it to the domain and the prestaged account will be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Hope I have understood you correctly. I have an issue before when renaming a computer and joining it to the domain at the same time. Rename the computer first and restart it. Leave it in the current workgroup. You can then join it to the domain and the prestaged account will be used.
            agreed 100% with above.

further more, if you already have blah1 already joined to the domain AND you want to rename it to blah2 you do not need to create the new computer account "blah2" in the proper OU. Once you rename blah1 to blah2 from the PC itself it will also change the name in AD.

otherwise if you do create blah2 before the rename you will get an error saying that the name already exists.

Comment

Working...
            X