No announcement yet.

Remote Sites/Global Catalog/Membership Caching

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Sites/Global Catalog/Membership Caching

Hello to all.

Im planning an architecture for a company with 4 remote sites, one domain "domain.local" in a single forest:

The initial plan are 4 DC W2003R2-sp2-ENT servers both of them placed at the four offices with adsl links vpn conectivity

I have setup four remote sites with their subnets, move every server to each site and make all of them are Global Catalog and they have DNS Active Directory integrated.

Native W2003 level reached at Domain/Forest.

I am in doubt with this questions:

- if i need to add a second DC at one office, do i have to make it Global Catalog ?
    i have read that the infrastructure master role should not be in a DC that is a Global Catalog (until all servers are Global Catalog)

- if i add a small office with ten employes is better to make the DC, placed at that office, as Universal Group Membership Caching than make it Global Catalog ?

Re: Remote Sites/Global Catalog/Membership Caching

IIRC, the Infrastructure Master should not be a GC if you have a multidomain forest -- which you dont
    If you think about it, your first DC will have all the roles AND be a GC!

IMHO I would make all DCs into GCs for efficiency -- don't bother with the UGMC (if you have any universal groups, that is)

Also, have you considered the advantages of running your branch office DCs as virtual machines on top of a physical file server (using 2008 and HyperV) -- less security worries as users don't get so near the DC when accessing files on the server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **