Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 AD role seizure

Hello,

This morning I was patching our DC which holds all of the master roles. When I rebooted the server it did not come back up properly due to a faulty floppy disk error and was down for about 20 minutes while I fixed the issue. This should not have been a problem (from my understanding) because our 2nd DC did not go down at any time. However, there were login issues, exchange was down, and probably several other AD related services that I didn't even find out about.

First question - is this normal when a DC holding master roles goes down? I think it may be because there is no PDC emulator available - but still this does not make sense.

Secondly - why did exchange stop functioning? Both domain controllers were global catalogues so I don't understand what Exchange was depending on from DC1.

Lastly - had the issue on DC1 been more serious and I was not able to recover the server in a reasonable amount of time, would the best course of action have been to sieze all the master roles and then rebuild DC1 from scratch once the hardware was fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 2003 AD role seizure

Is the second DC also a DNS server?

As well as GC and DNS, make sure that services such as DHCP, WINS etc are still available should your 'primary' DC go down.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

FSMO roles (PDC Emulator apart) have no effect o nclient's functionality and it's ability to operate.

When PDC Emulator is down, some things will behave differently: password resets replication, time sync, etc... but this should not prevent the computers and users from being able to work.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Is the second DC also a DNS server?

As well as GC and DNS, make sure that services such as DHCP, WINS etc are still available should your 'primary' DC go down.
        The 2nd Server is also a DNS server and the domain is using AD integrated DNS zones. There is only one DHCP server and that is located on the 1st server... However I strongly don't believe this caused the network issues I'm describing, because just about everyone would have already had an IP leased. The server was only down for about 20 minutes.

Originally posted by guyt View Post
        FSMO roles (PDC Emulator apart) have no effect o nclient's functionality and it's ability to operate.

When PDC Emulator is down, some things will behave differently: password resets replication, time sync, etc... but this should not prevent the computers and users from being able to work.
        That's a relief to hear because that is exactly what I thought. If a single DC going down takes an entire network down in Windows 2003 then there's definately something up.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll continue to investigate.

Comment

Working...
        X