When you need Sites and Services?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you need Sites and Services?

I have a quick question I am trying to find the answer for.
    Do you need to have a site if that site doesn't have a domain controller?

From what I read, it seems it is for replication. If there isn't a domain controller, then why do you need to create a site for it?

For example:

Our agency is located in LR, AR. So we also are connected to 14 other counties. They all have different IP addresses and different subnets (from the MAIN site). Only TWO of the counties have domain controllers.

Is there a ready to have Seperate Sites for each county? Or should I just have sites for the two counties that HAVE domain controllers? If thats the case, then I only need one site link correct?

Re: When you need Sites and Services?

if you only had one domain controller in your domain (or all your domain controllers at one site) than sites don't really matter as much, although you can have site specific GPO's that you might want to use.
    however if you have multiple domain controllers across a number of sites, it is good to use sites as you can then specify which domain controller is preferred for that particular site. Even though a particular site does not have a domain controller its nice to be able to choose what domain controller you prefer it to logon to your domain from.

Comment

Originally posted by hazey View Post
      if you only had one domain controller in your domain (or all your domain controllers at one site) than sites don't really matter as much, although you can have site specific GPO's that you might want to use.
      however if you have multiple domain controllers across a number of sites, it is good to use sites as you can then specify which domain controller is preferred for that particular site. Even though a particular site does not have a domain controller its nice to be able to choose what domain controller you prefer it to logon to your domain from.

also i forgot to mention, you will see errors on your domain controllers if workstations try to logon from subnets that have not been specified.

Comment

Well see I have two remote sites that have a domain controller in each. I am thinking about making those Read Only Domain Controllers.

So for all those other sites that are in other counties that do not have domain controllers, we can just remove those sites? How do I specify the subnets other than using sites and services so errors do not show on the domain controllers like you are talking about?

Comment

In AD sites and services, subnets, you can right click on the subnet you want to change, select properties and change to the desired site. Once a site has no domain controllers or subnets attached to it you should then be able to remove the site. I also would recommend just to be on the safe side doing this with one site first only and waiting a day or two in case of any issues.
          My experience is only with an AD 2003 environment so i am not too sure if anything has changed with sites and services in W2K8.
          hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jdixon View Post
            From what I read, it seems it is for replication. If there isn't a domain controller, then why do you need to create a site for it?
            AD sites are primarily for authentication, but there are other AD-aware applications that can leverage the sites topology (i.e. DFS and SMS/SCCM).
            There are situations when having a DC-less site is a valid design decision.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Just one other thing to throw out there... If you have sites created but do not have DC's within them you could look at enabling Universal Group Caching as to aid in the speed of the log on process.

-Jason
              MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
                Just one other thing to throw out there... If you have sites created but do not have DC's within them you could look at enabling Universal Group Caching as to aid in the speed of the log on process.
                And who will be caching the Universal groups if there are no DCs in the site ???

UG caching is for sites with DCs that are not GCs...
                Guy Teverovsky
                "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                  And who will be caching the Universal groups if there are no DCs in the site ???

UG caching is for sites with DCs that are not GCs...
                  guyt, thanks for the catch. I miss spoke there...

-Jason
                  MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Very easy rule to determine that you needing site
                    - If your network is connected by slow WAN links then create site for each location. It will help in controlling and scheduling replication traffic between two locations.

Comment

Working...
                    X