No announcement yet.

Creating a New Site Best Practice Guide

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a New Site Best Practice Guide

Hi I would like some help and clarification on the correct procedure for creating a new active directory site.
    Im in the process of preparing a new office setup, the office will be running our first implementation of server 2008 into our environment.
    The new server is going to be a Read-Only Domain Controller
    I know how to create a new site and subnet in active directory, I have actually already completed this process. My question relates to the joining process.
    Do I join this server to the domain while it is here in the head office? Then run dcpromo and make it a domain controller when its in its new location?
    Join it to the domain and run dcpromo all from the new office?

Obviously to be able to perform these processes will require the underlying network infrastructure to be online (VPN link back to head office)
    Your help will be appreciated.

Re: Creating a New Site Best Practice Guide

I am not familiar with 2008 however, this is what I have done (very brief explanation) in the past for small, remote sites:

Assuming that the network infrastructure is in place and working between sites,

1. Configure a Server 2003 VM

2. Join the server to the domain

3. DCPROMO the server

4. Leave the new DC on over night or more depending on how much replication data exists.

5. Send the VM to the new site.

6. Turn on the new VM.

7. Configure Sites and Services for the remote office subnet - link it to the site.

8. If necessary - configure Sites and Services for special replication paths.

You will also need to make sure to add the subnet in DNS for reverse lookup.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Kesshin; 13th August 2009, 07:43. Reason: forgot to mention important information.