No announcement yet.

Help demoting windows 2003 ad

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help demoting windows 2003 ad

Hi everyone,

I am desperately lookin for help, my organisation bought a new server and I needed to move ad from the old box to the new one.
    I read on the internet and did:

Make the new box replicating the old one
    transfer all fsmo roles
    then Remove dsn from the old one
    then running dcpromo on the old box
    that where things get really bad for me as I keep having an error message saying :
    "The box indicating that this domain controller is the last domain controller for your domain is unchecked. However, no other domain controllers for that domain can be contacted."

Remember I still have my replicating server running
    I would really like to solve this issue, is there a way to promote replica servers to pdc?
    If I just remove the old box from the network will the Replica take over?
    Please Help

Re: Help demoting windows 2003 ad

On the old server, have you set it to use the new server in the DNS settings of the NIC? Set the old server as the primary and the new server as the secondary and try again.

How do I reset the old server as Primary?
      Thank you for your answer.

TCP/IP properties of the NIC connecting the server to the network, where you gave it a static IP address.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Yes I gave it a static ip like :
          and I made it dsn server.