No announcement yet.

Domain rename question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain rename question

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of an AD rename; it has Exchange in it, and I've just read this in the XDR fixup instructions:
    If any domain controllers are running Exchange, you must move all Exchange data off these domain controllers and uninstall Exchange before continuing with the domain rename procedure. It is recommended that you move all Exchange mailboxes and public folder stores to another server and then remove Exchange from the server. Running only the Active Directory Installation Wizard (dcpromo) to demote the domain controller is not sufficient.
    Is this just because MS do not support/recommend Exchange on DCs, and running dcpromo on Exchanges?

I ask as I had dcpromo'd the Exchange down to a member server before I read this, and I'd like to know whether, since the dcpromo down was successfull, it is in fact necessary to include the fairly hefty disruption in creating a new mail server, or if it is in fact sufficient that the Exchange is no longer a DC. The exchange is no longer mentioned in DNS/AD as having any DC attributes, so I don't see why this isn't sufficient.

Re: Domain rename question

If the server is no longer a DC, then you should be ok - I highly recommend you leave Exchange as a member server in the new domain.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Domain rename question

Thanks for that.

And yes, I'll be choosing another server as second DC after I've picked up the pieces from this.