Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to configure Additional Domain Controller and remove Child Domain Controler.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure Additional Domain Controller and remove Child Domain Controler.

Hi All,

I would like to configure a Additional Domain Controller for our new site. I have another 3 sites in my organization. All those sites configured with DNS and Sites.
    There is no secondary DNS configured anywhere. All are Active Directory Integrated DNS and it seems all are primary DNS server. In my new site there is child domain configured already. I want to remove the child domain and want to configure a Additional domain controler. Please give me the instruction how to setup all these.

Here is my organization setup:

location 1: bermuda, DC name: a.xyz.com ( Configured with AD+DNS+Site+DHCP+GC)
    location 2: waterloo, DC name: b.xyz.com ( Configured with AD+DNS+Site+DHCP+GC)
    location 3: Chicago, DC name c.xyz.com ( Configured with AD+DNS+Site+DHCP+GC)

New site ( Configured with Child domain)
    Location 4: Gemany, Child DC name: cdc.d.xyz.com ( Configured with AD+DNS+Site+DHCP+GC)

Question:
    1. How I will configure primary DNS in my ADC so that replication will happen from other
    three DC.
    2. How Site should be configured.
    3. How i will move DHCP from present child DC and place it to new ADC.
    4. Finally how I will remove the child DC from the domain.

I know this is a big question but it is very necessary for me.

Re: How to configure Additional Domain Controller and remove Child Domain Controler.
    1. How Site should be configured - In domain xyz.com, create new site with default sitelink connected and add the subnet assosiating with newly created site. (If you want to manage replication leave the KCC otherwise disable it)
    2. Install new server in the subnet created and set DNS server as remote DC which will be used for dcpromo as well.(considering network connectivity choose the best DC for dcpromo)
    3. From newly installed server test ping, access shares of FSMO servers, also the remote DC shares.
    4. Login as a domain admin of xyz.com domain in new server and start dcpromo.Refer http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm)
    5. Move the DHCP service using netsh or DHCP backup. (since the version of OS is not mentioned its difficult to give u the procedure)
    6. Create connection object between new and old DC's or leave it with KCC to create. Set the replciation schedule on CO's.
    7. Make sure all the workstation and member servers belongs to child domain is joined to new domain.
    8. I hope you know how to destory the child domain Run dcpromo and demote the child domain, also remove orphaned objects Refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306

Comment

Re: How to configure Additional Domain Controller and remove Child Domain Controler.

Hi balasat,

I want to configure a primary DNS for my new ADC. OS version is Win2003 sstadard.
      Confusion is:
      I run dcpromo i will choose additional domain controller.

1. Shall i configure DNS while the dcpromo wizard runs or before run dcpromo I need to configure DNS?
      2. When site need to configure, before run dcpromo or after AD installation I can configure site?

Comment

both the things has to be configured before dcpromo only.

Comment

Hi,
          The DNS replication will occur on the ADC via looking at the replication topology mentioned in the DC's primary DNS server.
          Find the below link for the types of replication in DNS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...55(WS.10).aspx

Let me know if you have more questions

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X