Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topology Question that touches all of the forums.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topology Question that touches all of the forums.

I think this question best fits in the AD forum, but really touches on a few others.

I have a current 2003 AD with 2 DCs.

I have a new server running Hyper-V.

I want to upgrade my AD to be 2008 to take advantage of some of the more advanced features of 2008 directory services.

I am thinking about creating 2 new server 2008 DCs on my HyperV server, running DC Promo on my 2003 servers. Then creating 2 2008 DCs on physical hardware and removing the VMs. Sound good?

Also, if I can simply create one physical 2008 AD server, can I keep the 2003 AD servers and still gain the more advanced features? - I wouldnt think that it would be possible since after doing the forest prep my DCs will still say they are running in 2003 status.

Re: Topology Question that touches all of the forums.

If you want to raise your domain or forest to 2008 mode, you will need to remove all the 2003 DCs (but not member servers)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That is what I have been reading, thanks Ossian. Thoughts on my other plan? I am also reading that since I am running Exch 2003 - it will require a physical global catalog server.

Comment

ITGuy2008,

That migration plan should not cause you any issues. In the off chance your running System Center Virtual Machine Manager, instead of building out new VM's you could P2V the existing physicals and save your-self some time.

-Jason
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

I had thought about using P2V, but since my DCs currently run file and print services I can't. I think I am going to go with creating one physical 2008 DC, and 2 virtual ones.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X